The primary purpose and function of the Specialist, Benefits is to ensure the practice’s benefit and insurance coverage programs are accurately and efficiently administered in compliance with applicable laws and practice policies and support associates with regard to their benefits. This position will assist with plan design, conduct training, acting as a resource for others on the Benefits team and interacting with associates to ensure adequate knowledge of and notification of plans and coverage available to them, while maintaining current enrollment status of all participants in covered plans. The primary purpose and function of the Specialist, Compensation is to act as a key resource for the administration and analysis of the practice’s base pay and variable pay programs, ensuring that compensation programs are consistently administered in compliance with practice policies and government regulations through audits, reports and personal contact.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Live and exemplify the Five Principles of Mars, Inc. within self and team.
- Maintain confidentiality of associate and practice data at all times; ensure HIPAA and data security policies are upheld.
- Respond to associates’ questions regarding benefit and insurance programs and policies. Ensure benefit inquiries are responded to promptly with quality customer service and detailed follow-through, recommending corrective or alternative actions to resolve problems.
- Administer benefit programs, associate leaves of absence (FMLA, OFLA/CFRA/PDL, personal, military, etc.) and medical accommodation requests in partnership with our external vendors and in accordance with federal and state regulations and practice policies.
- Review, research, and recommend modifications and/or enhancement to the practice’s benefit programs.
- Maintain and update our intranet to reflect current benefit policies and corresponding procedures.
- Retrieve, compile, and enter benefit information into Payroll and Oracle Advance Benefits (OAB) systems.
- Coordinate, develop, and modify benefit processes and procedures as needed.
- Retrieve, compile, and prepare benefit reports in a timely manner.
- Audit internal reports to ensure accuracy and consistency of participant accounts, information and premium deductions at regular intervals.
- Extrapolate data from multiple sources to create necessary reports for program administration.
- Prepare written communications for various benefit purposes (associate education, letters, etc.).
- Maintain awareness of federal and state laws pertaining to benefits and their potential impact on the practice’s benefit program.
- Assist with, coordinate, develop and modify annual Open Enrollment guides, communication, project plan and other related materials; assist with coordination of the Benefits/Wellness Fair and related offerings to associates.
- Participate in ongoing user acceptance system testing: develop test cases; execute testing, provide feedback and recommendations.
- Coordinate, develop and/or modify training materials; conduct training sessions as needed.
- Work with the Manager, Benefits Services on escalated benefits issues, and assist other Benefits associates with questions and customer service issues.
- Act as a back-up for other Benefits team members as needed.
- Other job duties as assigned.
Special Working Conditions
- Ability to work at a computer for long periods of time.
- Project timelines and work volume / deadlines may often require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job.
- Must have mental processes for reasoning, remembering, mathematics and language ability (reading, writing, and speaking the English language) to perform the duties proficiently.
- The noise level in the work environment is normally moderate.
- Environment where pets are present.
Experience, Education, and Training
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources preferred, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Minimum of three years’ relevant professional experience administering employee benefit plans, leave of absence and disability accommodation administration required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of employee benefits administration (HIPAA, COBRA, FMLA, OFLA, CFRA, ERISA, 401(k), AD&D, short/long-term disability, etc.) required.
- CEBS, CBP or PHR, SPHR certification preferred.
Banfield Pet Hospital is committed to a diverse work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. It is our mission to provide equal employment opportunities to all candidates and to ensure that access to jobs is strictly based on job-related criteria.
We are a drug-free, smoke-free, equal opportunity employer.
Company Policy, Federal and State Laws Forbid Discrimination Because of Age, Color,
Race, Religion, Sex, Disability, Sexual Orientation or National Origin.
- Experience with Oracle Advanced Benefit (OAB) software preferred.
- Prefer health care background (veterinary or human healthcare, pharmaceutical, etc.).
Meet Some of Banfield Pet Hospital's Employees
Sr. Talent Acquisition Partner
Andrew marshals all his wit and resources to find new ways to attract and retain, the best veterinary talent for Banfield, strategizing with executives, conducting interviews, and influencing hiring decisions.
Back to top