Program Manager, Tax Accounting
The primary purpose and function of the Program Manager, Tax Accounting is to independently manage domestic and international tax projects including all aspects of tax controversy engagements and to provide tax quality assurance oversight. This position will also have compliance responsibilities for federal and state income tax, sales/use tax, and property tax.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Live and exemplify the Five Principles of Mars, Inc. within self and team.
- Lead the Tax Accounting team; develop, motivate and review associates.
- Identify and implement opportunities to mitigate all forms of tax audit exposure from a tax technical and/or functional process standpoint.
- Manage all aspects of the tax controversy function by corresponding with auditors, analyzing assessments, contesting audit findings, coordinating audit responses, and overseeing personnel resources assigned to audit engagements.
- Draft formal protest letters and negotiate audit assessments with government audit teams from all jurisdictions to minimize tax exposures.
- Manage domestic and international tax projects and provide tax quality assurance oversight related to expansion into new jurisdictions, new business developments, or to address evident tax exposures.
- Coach associates on cross-functional teams and assist the Manager Tax in the development, mentoring, and supervision of tax associates.
- Facilitate tax quality assurance by acting as a subject matter expert on specific tax related topics and issues. Review and approve the proper tax treatment of such topics and issues. This is accomplished through proper technical interpretation and application of domestic and international tax laws and regulations.
- Determine tax effects and consequences of business activities, develop, and recommend strategies for minimizing tax liability.
- Provide effective written and verbal communication on technical tax matters that need to be presented to various internal and external parties including Banfield leadership, Mars associates, Field Leadership, and hospital teams.
- Present tax audit assessment forecasting and analyses to senior management.
- Ensure tax filings and strategies comply with the Internal Revenue Code, Income Tax Regulations, and all sales and use tax laws while maintaining supporting documentation.
- Other job duties as assigned.
Special Working Conditions:
- Ability to work at a computer for long periods of time.
- Project timelines and work volume / deadlines may often require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job.
- Must have mental processes for reasoning, remembering, mathematics and language ability (reading, writing, and speaking the English language) to perform the duties proficiently.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate necessary equipment.
- The noise level in the work environment is normally moderate.
- Environment where pets are present.
Experience, Education and/or Training:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Tax or Accounting required, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Master’s degree in taxation preferred.
- CPA required.
- Six years relevant professional tax experience with strong financial skills and a solid understanding of GAAP.
- Familiarity with consolidated income tax returns (i.e., Form 1120), ASC 740 principles, and indirect tax principles (i.e., sales/use, property, etc.).
- Ability to manage complex projects including tax controversy with a sense of urgency, while overseeing personnel assigned to such projects.
- Big 4 public accounting experience preferred.
- Prior supervisory experience preferred.
- Prefer health care background (veterinary or human healthcare, pharmaceutical, etc.).
Banfield Pet Hospital® is committed to a diverse work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. It is our mission to provide equal employment opportunities to all candidates and to ensure that access to jobs is strictly based on job-related criteria.
WE ARE A DRUG-FREE, SMOKE-FREE, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Company Policy, Federal and State Laws Forbid Discrimination Because of Age, Color, Race, Religion, Sex, Disability, Sexual Orientation or National Origin.
Meet Some of Banfield Pet Hospital's Employees
Sr. Talent Acquisition Partner
Andrew marshals all his wit and resources to find new ways to attract and retain, the best veterinary talent for Banfield, strategizing with executives, conducting interviews, and influencing hiring decisions.
Back to top