SUMMARY OF JOB PURPOSE AND FUNCTION
The primary purpose and function of the Groomer is to clean and care for pets' coats and nails using knowledge of grooming techniques and styles, and ensuring a safe environment for pets in the hospital.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Live and exemplify the Five Principles of Mars, Inc. within self and team.
- Bathe, comb, clip, shape, and style pets' coats using proper techniques and services best suited for each pet's needs.
- Trim pets' nails, or shape with dremel tool.
- Work with CSCs to coordinate pet's grooming appointment with veterinary appointment, if applicable.
- Provide on-demand grooming services for veterinary appointment pets not previously scheduled for a grooming appointment.
- Ensure grooming equipment and tools are clean and well-maintained, and the environment clean and safe for pets.
- Take pets for bathroom breaks, as necessary.
- Provide guidance to newer groomers when needed.
- Other job duties as assigned.
THE FIVE PRINCIPLES
- Quality – The consumer is our boss, quality is our work and value for money is our goal.
- Responsibility – As individuals, we demand total responsibility from ourselves; as associates, we support the responsibility of others.
- Mutuality – A mutual benefit is a shared benefit; a shared benefit will endure.
- Efficiency – We use resources to the full, waste nothing and do only what we can do best.
- Freedom – We need freedom to shape our future; we need profit to remain free.
HIRING QUALIFICATIONS - COMPETENCIES
- Action Oriented
- Customer Focus
- Peer Relationships
- Personal Learning
- Functional/Technical Skills
- Time Management
CAPABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE (CAN DO)
- Ability to multi-task – Manages multiple tasks at one time; quickly and accurately shifts attention among multiple tasks under distracting conditions without loss of accuracy or appearance of frustration.
- Communication skills – Reads, writes and speaks fluent English, using appropriate grammar, style and vocabulary. Correctly spells commonly used English words and job specific terms. Demonstrates exceptionally strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Organizational ability – Demonstrates a systematic approach in carrying out assignments. Is very orderly and excels at cutting through confusion and turning chaos into order.
- Problem solving skills – Demonstrates a strong ability to identify, analyze and solve problems. Unusually decisive in handling difficult problems. Translates problems into practical solutions.
- Client service skills – Consistently ensures the team provides the client with attentive, courteous and informative service. Gains and shows personal satisfaction from delivering great service.
- Intellectual ability – Accurately and consistently follows instructions delivered in an oral, written or diagram format. Can provide directions.
- Mathematical ability – Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and to compute rate, ratio and percent; ability to convert units of measurement.
- Computer skills – Comfortably and confidently uses a computer and specialized software. Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, etc.
ATTITUDES (WILL DO)
- Initiative – Shows willingness and aptitude to use own discretion in taking appropriate steps in finding solutions to problems; presents options and ideas to enhance current processes or procedures. Takes on additional responsibility when both big and small tasks need to be done.
- Integrity – Firmly adheres to the values and ethics of Banfield Pet Hospitals. Exhibits honesty, discretion, and sound judgment.
- Cooperativeness – Willing to work with others, collaborating and compromising where necessary; promptly share relevant information with others.
- Flexibility – Is open to changing situations and opportunities and is willing to perform all tasks assigned.
- Independence – Able and willing to perform tasks and duties without supervision.
- Tolerance for Stress / Resiliency – Maintains a positive "can do" outlook, rebounds quickly from frustrations and unpleasantness, and maintains composure and friendly demeanor while dealing with stressful situations.
SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
- Ability to work at a computer for long periods of time.
- Project timelines and work volume / deadlines may often require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job.
- Must have mental processes for reasoning, remembering, mathematics and language ability (reading, writing, and speaking the English language) to perform the duties proficiently.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate necessary equipment.
- The noise level in the work environment is normally moderate.
- Environment where pets are present.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING
- Accreditation by a grooming trade school preferred, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Minimum one year of pet grooming experience required.
- Experience with multiple breed-specific cuts and styles preferred.
- Experience working in a veterinary clinic environment preferred.
WE ARE A DRUG-FREE, SMOKE-FREE, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Banfield Pet Hospital® strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. Banfield Pet Hospital is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. Banfield Pet Hospital complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every Banfield location.
Meet Some of Banfield Pet Hospital's Employees
Sr. Talent Acquisition Partner
Andrew marshals all his wit and resources to find new ways to attract and retain, the best veterinary talent for Banfield, strategizing with executives, conducting interviews, and influencing hiring decisions.
Back to top