Field Director-South Jersey
SUMMARY OF JOB PURPOSE AND FUNCTION
The Field Director provides leadership, direction, mentorship and management for area hospitals to maximize the medical, financial and statistical results and the productivity of the veterinary medical teams. The Field Director partners with the Medical Director and Talent Acquisition to ensure hospitals are fully staffed and are providing the highest quality veterinary care and client service and maximizing profitability. The Field Director ensures good communication with associates, clients, field leadership, Central Team Support (CTS) and PetSmart.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Live and exemplify the Five Principles of Mars, Inc. within self and team.
- Lead veterinary medical teams to provide the highest quality care and service to the most pets and clients and to maximize efficiency, productivity and profitability. Deliver outstanding financial results for all area hospitals. Manage the profitability and finances of the hospitals to maximize growth and improvement. Focus the teams to deliver the practice priorities.
- Work with the Medical Director and Talent Acquisition to select, recruit, develop and mentor teams to realize their full professional potential and deliver outstanding, high quality medical care, client service and business results. Partner with Talent Acquisition to recruit and select doctors as needed to meet veterinary medical team (VMT) day requirements. Final interviews and selection and discipline decisions regarding the doctors are the responsibility of the Medical Director.
- Develop annual budgets. Partner with the Medical Director to determine appropriate productivity levels for the doctors. Determine the number of doctors and VMT days needed to achieve maximum success. Review substantive changes with the Regional Vice President.
- Develop, update and deliver the area strategic assessment and plan in alignment with the practice strategic plan objectives.
- Partner with the hospital managers to maintain appropriate scheduling and doctor coverage. Approve paid time off for continuing education, vacation, etc. to support the needs of the associates and the hospital.
- Develop effective communication with associates, clients, field leadership and CTS. Create a positive, professional and trusting relationship with PetSmart leadership, associates and customers. Develop and maintain a positive relationship with the PetSmart District Manager and resolve all hospital/store issues.
- Ensure compliance with all practice protocols, policies and procedures and with all local, state and federal laws. Ensure the safety of pets, clients and associates and the maintenance of clean, safe and organized hospitals.
- Enforce all Banfield standards. Continuously build Banfield brand in connection with all medical and non-medical standards.
- Develop successful hospital managers who continually surpass benchmarks.
- Conduct administrative functions promptly and accurately.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
HIRING QUALIFICATIONS / COMPETENCIES
- Developing Direct Reports and Others (19) - Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments.
- Motivating Others (36) - Creates a climate in which people want to do their best.
- Managing Vision and Purpose (65) - Communicates a compelling and inspired vision or sense of core purpose.
- Negotiating (37) - Can negotiate skillfully in tough situations with both internal and external groups.
- Managing and Measuring Work (35) - Monitors process, progress, and results.
- Problem Solving (51) - Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions.
- Effective Communication – Demonstrates exceptionally strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Teamwork and Collaboration - Encourages efforts toward common goals.
- Performance Management - Understands and utilizes a coaching/counseling philosophy for performance management.
- Managing Diversity (21) - Manages all kinds and classes of people equitably.
CAPABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE (CAN DO)
- Communication skills - Reads, writes and speaks fluent English, using appropriate grammar, style and vocabulary. Correctly spells commonly used English words and medical terms. Fluent in Spanish in markets where local population is predominantly Spanish speaking.
- Management skills – Ability to manage team members effectively, setting goals and direction, and holding individuals accountable to meet job expectations. Ability to successfully supervise, coach and mentor others.
- Organizational ability – Demonstrates a systematic approach in carrying out assignments. Is very orderly and excels at cutting through confusion and turning chaos into order.
- Compassionate commitment to pet care – Ensures hospital teams confidently present pet treatment recommendations and associated fees as an advocate for the pet, gaining the client's agreement to proceed with the treatment most appropriate to the pet's current condition and long term health. Act as an advocate for the pet.
- Client service skills - Consistently ensures the team provides the client with attentive, courteous and informative service. Gains and shows personal satisfaction from delivering great service, seeing pets' health improve and satisfying clients. Ensures the team utilizes a recovery plan for resolution of client complaints, resolves client issues timely and wins client confidence by providing excellent service.
- Intellectual ability - Accurately and consistently follows instructions delivered in an oral, written or diagram format. Can provide directions.
- Mathematical ability - Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and to compute rate, ratio and percent; ability to convert units of measurement.
- Computer skills - Comfortably and confidently uses a computer and specialized software, primarily Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and Access. • Sales and marketing skills - Educates clients on preventive care, pet health needs and hospital services and energetically promotes the benefits of Optimum Wellness Plans.
THE FIVE PRINCIPLES
- Quality - The consumer is our boss, quality is our work and value for money is our goal.
- Responsibility - As individuals, we demand total responsibility from ourselves; as associates, we support the responsibility of others.
- Mutuality - A mutual benefit is a shared benefit; a shared benefit will endure.
- Efficiency - We use resources to the full, waste nothing and do only what we can do best.
- Freedom - We need freedom to shape our future; we need profit to remain free.
ATTITUDES (WILL DO)
- Initiative – Shows willingness and aptitude to use own discretion in taking appropriate steps in finding solutions to problems; presents options and ideas to enhance current processes or procedures. Takes on additional responsibility when both big and small tasks need to be done; seeks out the most valuable work to do during times when the hospital faces low client demand.
- Tolerance for Stress/Resiliency – Maintains a positive "can do" outlook, rebounds quickly from frustrations and unpleasantness, and maintains composure and friendly demeanor while dealing with stressful situations.
- Integrity – Firmly adheres to the values and ethics of Banfield Pet Hospitals. Exhibits honesty, discretion, and sound judgment.
- Cooperativeness – Willing to work with others, collaborating and compromising where necessary; promptly shares relevant information with others. Ability to be confident around pets (i.e. dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, etc.)
- Flexibility – Is open to changing situations and opportunities within the hospital and is willing to perform all tasks as assigned. Is available and willing to work all hours required to ensure hospital functions efficiently.
- Independence – Able and willing to perform tasks and duties without constant supervision.
SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
- Ability to work at a computer for long periods of time.
- Ability to be confident around pets (i.e., dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, etc.)
- Client needs and work volume may often require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job. This position requires special hours including working weekends and evenings.
- Must have mental processes for reasoning, remembering, mathematics and language ability (reading, writing, and speaking the English language) to perform the duties proficiently.
- The noise level in the work environment is moderately high.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables.
- Requires ambulatory skills sufficient in order to perform duties while at hospital and to visit various locations.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate equipment.
- Associate is routinely exposed to a variety of pets that may bite or scratch, and on occasion, exposed to anesthesia, radiation, biological hazards and medication/controlled substances.
- Must be able to travel long distances by air, train or car on short notice for extended periods of time. Must meet age requirements of national car rental agencies and have reliable private transportation for frequent local travel including a valid driver's license and proof of insurance.
- Ability to establish and maintain a home office if necessary.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or related field is required, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- A minimum of six years of relevant professional experience is required - preferably with three years or more in multi-location management in a service industry.
- Prefer medical background (veterinary technician, human healthcare, pharmaceutical, etc.)
Residential Requirement: All field leaders are required to live in their market.
WE ARE A DRUG-FREE, SMOKE-FREE, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Company Policy, Federal and State Laws Forbid Discrimination Because of Age, Color, Race, Religion, Sex, Disability, Sexual Orientation or National Origin.
Meet Some of Banfield Pet Hospital's Employees
Sr. Talent Acquisition Partner
Andrew marshals all his wit and resources to find new ways to attract and retain, the best veterinary talent for Banfield, strategizing with executives, conducting interviews, and influencing hiring decisions.
Back to top