SUMMARY OF JOB PURPOSE AND FUNCTION
The primary purpose and function of the Executive Assistant is to provide senior level administrative support to the Executive staff. This position requires superior written and verbal communication skills, efficient organizational skills, strong computer skills, and the ability to work independently.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Live and exemplify the Five Principles of Mars, Inc. within self and team.
- Maintain confidentiality of proprietary information and documents.
- Represent supported leadership in a positive, supportive, professional manner to associates, management, vendors, visitors and strategic partners.
- Act as a liaison between leadership and other teams and individuals.
- Prepare confidential reports, PowerPoint presentations, correspondence, organizational charts and other documents as required.
- Develop and maintain various spreadsheets and databases, independently determining the organization of data and desired results.
- Provide analysis of data using Excel and/or written format in a detailed and in-depth manner for special projects.
- Maintain Outlook calendars for supervisors, schedule appointments, maintain long-range calendar for team. Ensure specific issues are scheduled for follow-up. Review and route incoming mail, responding as appropriate.
- Greet visitors and direct to appropriate area or person as needed.
- Coordinate conference calls.
- Arrange meetings, prepare agendas, reserve and set up facilities, and transcribe meeting minutes.
- Coordinate and secure travel arrangements.
- Coordinate team projects and drive to successful completion, as needed.
Order supplies, maintain inventory levels and schedule equipment maintenance.
- Screen calls, take messages and return phone calls, as appropriate.
- Prepare, submit, and track expense reports for Executives, and review reports for Executives' direct reports, noting any discrepancies.
- Prepare PTO reports for Executives and their direct reports.
- Update timekeeping records for assigned team as necessary.
- Responsible for routine decisions on behalf of the Executive, communicating outcomes via memo or e-mail to encompass fiscal, task assignment, branding, communications, work flow, etc.
- Provide cross-training and back-up to other Executive Assistants as needed.
- Support the camaraderie, team building and engagement efforts of the Administrative Team as a whole.
- Other job duties as assigned.
THE FIVE PRINCIPLES
- Quality - The consumer is our boss, quality is our work and value for money is our goal.
- Responsibility - As individuals, we demand total responsibility from ourselves; as associates, we support the responsibility of others.
- Mutuality - A mutual benefit is a shared benefit; a shared benefit will endure.
- Efficiency - We use resources to the full, waste nothing and do only what we can do best.
- Freedom - We need freedom to shape our future; we need profit to remain free.
HIRING QUALIFICATIONS COMPETENCIES
- Drive for Results
- Comfort Around Higher Management
- Peer Relationships
- Integrity & Trust
- Customer Focus
- Effective Communication
- Priority Setting
- Computer Skills
- Administrative Skills
CAPABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE (CAN DO)
- Ability to multi-task- Manages multiple tasks at one time; quickly and accurately shifts attention among multiple tasks under distracting conditions without loss of accuracy or appearance of frustration.
- Communication skills - Reads, writes and speaks fluent English, using appropriate grammar, style and vocabulary. Correctly spells commonly used English words and job specific terms. Demonstrates exceptionally strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Organizational ability – Demonstrates a systematic approach in carrying out assignments. Is very orderly and excels at cutting through confusion and turning chaos into order.
- Problem solving skills - Demonstrates a strong ability to identify, analyze and solve problems. Unusually decisive in handling difficult problems. Translates problems into practical solutions.
- Client service skills - Consistently ensures the team provides the client with attentive, courteous and informative service. Gains and shows personal satisfaction from delivering great service.
- Intellectual ability - Accurately and consistently follows instructions delivered in an oral, written or diagram format. Can provide directions.
- Mathematical ability - Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and to compute rate, ratio and percent; ability to convert units of measurement.
- Computer skills - Comfortably and confidently uses a computer and specialized software. Strong knowledge of MS Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook and experience using Access, Visio, etc.
ATTITUDES (WILL DO)
- Initiative – shows willingness and aptitude to use own discretion in taking appropriate steps in finding solutions to problems; presents options and ideas to enhance current processes or procedures. Takes on additional responsibility when both big and small tasks need to be done.
- Integrity – Firmly adheres to the values and ethics of Banfield Pet Hospitals. Exhibits honesty, discretion, and sound judgment.
- Cooperativeness – Willing to work with others, collaborating and compromising where necessary; promptly share relevant information with others.
- Flexibility – Is open to changing situations and opportunities and is willing to perform all tasks assigned.
- Independence – Able and willing to perform tasks and duties without supervision.
- Tolerance for Stress / Resiliency – Maintains a positive "can do" outlook, rebounds quickly from frustrations and unpleasantness, and maintains composure and friendly demeanor while dealing with stressful situations.
SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
- Ability to work at a computer for long periods of time.
- Project timelines and work volume / deadlines may often require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job.
- Must have mental processes for reasoning, remembering, mathematics and language ability (reading, writing, and speaking the English language) to perform the duties proficiently.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate necessary equipment.
- The noise level in the work environment is normally moderate.
- Environment where pets are present.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or related field is preferred, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Minimum two years experience supporting at the executive level with excellent organization skills required.
- Excellent calendar management skills, including the coordination of complex executive meetings.
- Experience scheduling travel arrangements for management, with international travel arrangement experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Experience successfully creating and/or modifying processes preferred.
- Support experience in medical services or health care background (veterinary or human healthcare, pharmaceutical, etc.) preferred.
WE ARE A DRUG-FREE, SMOKE-FREE, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Company Policy, Federal and State Laws Forbid Discrimination Because of Age, Color, Race, Religion, Sex, Disability, Sexual Orientation or National Origin.
Meet Some of Banfield Pet Hospital's Employees
Sr. Talent Acquisition Partner
Andrew marshals all his wit and resources to find new ways to attract and retain, the best veterinary talent for Banfield, strategizing with executives, conducting interviews, and influencing hiring decisions.
Back to top