Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Student - 001457
- Littleton, CO
Student Job Program Participant
Summary of Job Purpose and Function
The primary purpose and function of the SJP Participant is to support the veterinary team to ensure quality veterinary care for all Pets, act as the advocate for Pets, educate clients on all aspects of Pet health, and ensure a safe and effective hospital environment. The SJP Participant takes part in or observes procedures, when possible, in order to gain various veterinary experience and/or knowledge.
Essential responsibilities and tasks
- Act as the extra eyes, ears and hands for the veterinarian to ensure the best quality Pet care and to maximize the veterinarian's productivity.
- Learn to use and maintain hospital equipment including but not limited to scales, CBC machine, microscope, EKG machine, dental equipment and x-ray machine.
- Educate clients about pet preventative care, pet health needs, diagnosis or treatment, and hospital services that will benefit the client.
- Observe and learn how to perform blood draws, lab analysis, and examination and surgical procedure skills.
- Assist incoming clients by completing the required documentation, entering all Pet information and history in the computer, utilizing proper collars and tags for identification, and ensuring prompt service.
- Obtain relevant information and history from clients and maintain proper and complete medical charts.
- Provide professional, efficient and exceptional service at all times. This includes performing procedures that do not require veterinarian assistance, completing preparatory work for other procedures, ensuring that clients and Pets are comfortable in the hospital, and monitoring hospitalized or surgical Pets.
- Assist outgoing clients by providing all necessary instructions, information and invoices, dispensing prescription items per the veterinarian's instructions, selling retail products and scheduling future appointments.
- Ensure the safety of Pets, clients and Team Members by utilizing safe restraining techniques, following standard protocols, and maintaining clean, sterile and organized treatment areas, exam rooms and labs.
- Learns all aspects of hospital organization and function. Will perform duties at all levels within the hospital.
- Other job duties as assigned.
Capabilities and Experience (can do)
- Ability to multi-task- Manages multiple tasks at one time; quickly and accurately shifts attention among multiple tasks under distracting conditions without loss of accuracy or appearance of frustration.
- Communication skills - Reads, writes and speaks fluent English, using appropriate grammar, style and vocabulary. Correctly spells commonly used English words and job specific terms. Demonstrates exceptionally strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Organizational ability - Demonstrates a systematic approach in carrying out assignments. Is very orderly and excels at cutting through confusion and turning chaos into order.
- Problem solving skills - Demonstrates a strong ability to identify, analyze and solve problems. Unusually decisive in handling difficult problems. Translates problems into practical solutions.
- Client service skills - Consistently ensures the team provides the client with attentive, courteous and informative service. Gains and shows personal satisfaction from delivering great service.
- Intellectual ability - Accurately and consistently follows instructions delivered in an oral, written or diagram format. Can provide directions.
- Mathematical ability - Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and to compute rate, ratio and percent; ability to convert units of measurement.
- Computer skills - Comfortably and confidently uses a computer and specialized software. Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, etc.
Attitudes (Will do)
- Initiative - shows willingness and aptitude to use own discretion in taking appropriate steps in finding solutions to problems; presents options and ideas to enhance current processes or procedures. Takes on additional responsibility when both big and small tasks need to be done.
- Integrity - Firmly adheres to the values and ethics of Banfield, The Pet Hospital. Exhibits honesty, discretion, and sound judgment.
- Cooperativeness - Willing to work with others, collaborating and compromising where necessary; promptly share relevant information with others.
- Flexibility - Is open to changing situations and opportunities and is willing to perform all tasks assigned.
- Independence - Able and willing to perform tasks and duties without supervision.
- Tolerance for Stress / Resiliency - Maintains a positive "can do" outlook, rebounds quickly from frustrations and unpleasantness, and maintains composure and friendly demeanor while dealing with stressful situations.
Special Working Conditions
- Ability to work at a computer for long periods of time.
- Project timelines and work volume / deadlines may often require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job.
- Must have mental processes for reasoning, remembering, mathematics and language ability (reading, writing, and speaking the English language) to perform the duties proficiently.
- The noise level in the work environment is normally moderate.
- Environment where Pets are present.
Experience, Education and/or Training
- Enrolled as a graduate student in a veterinary medicine program at an accredited institution.
Banfield Pet Hospital® is committed to a diverse work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. It is our mission to provide equal employment opportunities to all candidates and to ensure that access to jobs is strictly based on job-related criteria.
Back to top