Director, External & Executive Communications
Summary and Qualifications:
The Director, External Communications & Stakeholder Engagement's primary responsibility is to enhance the reputation and profile of Banfield with external audiences. This position oversees and leads external communication for the practice, including: crisis and issues management, consumer and trade PR, partnerships, industry and professional relations, and executive communications strategy and implementation. In addition, the Director External Communications & Stakeholder Engagement leads message development and thought leadership strategies and deployment .
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Live and exemplify the Five Principles of Mars, Inc. within self and team.
- Serve as key member of the Corporate Affairs Leadership team
- Lead executive communications strategy and execution
- Collaborate with Mars Petcare and Mars Inc. on key external facing initiatives.
- Develop long and short-term strategies for the external communications teams.
- Oversee key stakeholder research agenda and develop key measurement tools
- Manage and create annual budget for department.
- Develop strategies and oversee deployment of industry relations efforts inclusive of Pet Health Care Industry Summit.
- Work collaboratively with other functions to realize Banfield's Employer of Choice and Thought Leader aspirations.
- Design, implement and measure comprehensive external PR and communications strategies for the practice (Corporate, Consumer and Trade).
- Lead stakeholder research agenda and create dashboard for measuring reputation
- Manage negative and positive media issues, leading crisis preparedness efforts.
- Supervise, coach, mentor and develop external communications team associates, evaluating performance, making promotional and/or salary recommendations.
- Design and conduct external PR and Communication presentations.
- Other job duties as assigned.
Special Working Conditions:
- Ability to work at a computer for long periods of time.
- Project timelines and work volume / deadlines may often require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job.
- Must have mental processes for reasoning, remembering, mathematics and language ability (reading, writing, and speaking the English language) to perform the duties proficiently.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate necessary equipment.
- The noise level in the work environment is normally moderate.
- Environment where pets are present.
Experience, Education and/or Training:
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Journalism, Arts is required, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Ten years of experience in managing external communications and stakeholder engagement, public relations crisis and issues management and community engagement.
- Direct supervisory and leadership experience is required.
- Superior writing and editing experience is required.
WE ARE A DRUG-FREE, SMOKE-FREE, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Banfield Pet Hospital® strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. Banfield Pet Hospital is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. Banfield Pet Hospital complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every Banfield location.
Back to top