CH Practice Manager
Practice Manager – Charter Hospital
Summary of Job Purpose and Function
The primary purpose and function of the Practice Manager is to maximize the productivity, profitability and growth of the hospital by working with the veterinary team while creating an environment that supports Banfield’s quality of medicine and ensures clients receive exceptional service. Ensure good communication with clients, associates, field leadership, Central Team Support, and PetSmart. Partner with the PetSmart Store Director, Salon Manager, Training Manager and PetsHotel Manager to optimize growth of all businesses and the practice.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Manage and drive consistent revenue growth and profitability improvements in the hospital. Monitor all financial and operational metrics ensuring deviations from plan are addressed timely and appropriately.
- Lead the paraprofessional team as role models and champions of the Banfield brand.
- Deliver consistent performance in Optimum Wellness Plan growth, penetration and retention.
- Manage overall labor costs while ensuring appropriate scheduling/staffing during all operating hours.
- Ensure hospital maintains 7-7-7 operating hours/days as a minimum.
- Responsible for ensuring all associates adhere to Banfield dress and grooming guidelines.
- Use innovative methods to promote hospital and Practice growth.
- Develop an efficient, productive hospital team that provides the highest quality care and service to the most Pets and clients, follows all Banfield protocols and practices and focuses the team to achieve practice priorities while building our culture and brand.
- Select, train and supervise the paraprofessional team to ensure quality medical care, exceptional client service and maximum productivity, managing effectively to enable associates to grow and develop within the practice.
- Provide professional, efficient and exceptional client service (lead by example) and ensure all associates do the same. This includes educating clients about Optimum Wellness Plans, preventive care, Pet health needs, hospital services (such as “drop off” and “come in now”), marketing campaigns, and other related information.
- Provide effective communication between associates, clients, field leadership and Central Team Support.
- Provide inspirational leadership to the team by creating a positive professional relationship with PetSmart associates, adoption center agencies, and clients.
- Effectively schedule associates to meet client needs according to Banfield guidelines, while proactively planning time off and CE scheduling.
- Responsible for cost containment, cash control/banking, loss prevention, office and medical supply ordering, and inventory management, maintaining acceptable Hospital Audit scores.
- Ensure compliance with all practice policies and procedures and with all local, state and federal laws.
- Participate in planning and budgeting with the Field Director and Medical Director.
- Participate in market level teams and discussions.
- Other job duties as assigned.
Capabilities and Experience (can do)
- Client service skills – Consistently ensures the team provides the client with attentive, courteous and informative service. Gains and shows personal satisfaction from delivering great service, seeing Pets’ health improve and satisfying clients. Ensures the team gains the cooperation and agreement of clients to schedule, attend or reschedule appointments. Ensures the team gathers necessary client/Pet background information. Ensures the team collects payment for services rendered. Ensures the team utilizes a recovery plan for resolution of client complaints, resolves client issues timely and wins client confidence by providing excellent service.
- Communication skills – Reads, writes and speaks fluent English, using appropriate grammar, style and vocabulary. Correctly spells commonly used English words and job specific terms. Demonstrates exceptionally strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Leadership skills – Ability to successfully recruit, supervise, coach and mentor others.
- Ability to multi-task – Manages multiple tasks at one time; quickly and accurately shifts attention among multiple tasks under distracting conditions without loss of accuracy or appearance of frustration.
- Organizational ability – Demonstrates a systematic approach in carrying out assignments. Is very orderly and excels at cutting through confusion and turning chaos into order.
- Intellectual ability – Accurately and consistently follows instructions delivered in an oral, written or diagram format. Provide directions.
- Mathematical ability – Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and to compute rate, ratio and percent; ability to convert units of measurement.
- Computer skills – Comfortably and confidently uses a computer and specialized software.
- Sales and marketing skills – Educates clients on preventive care, Pet health needs and hospital services, and enthusiastically promotes the benefits of Optimum Wellness Plans.
Attitudes (will do)
- Initiative – Shows willingness and aptitude to use own discretion in taking appropriate steps in finding solutions to problems; presents options and ideas to enhance current processes or procedures. Takes on additional responsibility when both big and small tasks need to be done; seeks out the most valuable work to do during times when the hospital faces low client demand.
- Integrity – Firmly adheres to the values and ethics of Banfield Pet Hospitals. Exhibits honesty, discretion, and sound judgment.
- Cooperativeness – Willing to work with others, collaborating and compromising where necessary; promptly share relevant information with others.
- Flexibility – Is open to changing situations and opportunities and is willing to perform all tasks assigned.
- Independence – Able and willing to perform tasks and duties without supervision.
- Tolerance for Stress / Resiliency – Maintains a positive “can do” outlook, rebounds quickly from frustrations and unpleasantness, and maintains composure and friendly demeanor while dealing with stressful situations.
Special Working Conditions
- Ability to be confident around Pets (i.e., dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, etc.)
- Client needs and work volume may often require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job. This position requires special hours including working weekends and evenings.
- The noise level in the work environment is moderately high.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables.
- Requires ambulatory skills sufficient to perform duties while at hospital and to visit various locations.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to reach and grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read information.
- Associate is routinely exposed to a variety of Pets that may bite or scratch, and on occasion, exposed to anesthesia, radiation, biological hazards and medication/controlled substances.
- Minimal travel required (possibly for vendor visits and associate education).
Experience, Education and/or Training
- Associate’s degree required with Bachelor’s degree preferred, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Two to three years experience (service-type industry, veterinary profession, etc.) required, with Banfield hospital experience preferred.
- One year management experience in a sales or service related industry required; two years preferred.
- Veterinary technician certification, licensure, and experience preferred.
- Medical background (veterinary technician, human healthcare, pharmaceutical, etc.) with medical terminology training is preferred.
Banfield Pet Hospital® is committed to a diverse work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. It is our mission to provide equal employment opportunities to all candidates and to ensure that access to jobs is strictly based on job-related criteria.
Meet Some of Banfield Pet Hospital's Employees
Sr. Talent Acquisition Partner
Andrew marshals all his wit and resources to find new ways to attract and retain, the best veterinary talent for Banfield, strategizing with executives, conducting interviews, and influencing hiring decisions.
Back to top