Senior Merchant, Decor - Redwood City
Are you a highly creative merchandising leader with a demonstrated ability to anticipate and capitalize on market and consumer-merchandise trends? Do you have experience in home or seasonal décor? Do have the passion to execute against a multi-channel merchandising strategy for our flagship brand, Balsam Hill? If so, we want to meet you! We are looking for a senior merchant to define and execute product assortment plans for key merchandising categories. You’ll be responsible for achieving sales and margin goals, managing vendor relationships, sourcing, design, product development, sample approval, pricing and much more!
This position will report to the Director of Product Development and Merchandising.
What you’ll do:
- Own key merchandising categories with direct responsibility for financial results, including sales and margin goals. Oversee bringing products to life, from vendor relationships through product sourcing, design, and on-time launch.
- Maintain product development and assortment plan spreadsheets. Present new items in product development meetings using concept boards, inspiration tear sheets and historical analysis.
- Lead the catalog creative turn-over processes; partner on design, layout, pagination, approval of photography, and catalog proofs. Synthesize merchandising direction and innovative presentation of products into compelling catalog spreads and web layout.
- Communicate effectively cross-functionally and work closely with Inventory Planning,
Operations and Finance to ensure processes are followed and deadlines are met.
Assist Inventory Planning by monitoring catalog performance and productivity by spread index, make recommendations on space allocation and in-season adjustments to optimize profitability.
Provide Inventory Planning and relevant
cross-functional departments with seasonal assortment plans maximizing sales,
profits and budget (OTB).
- Recommend and develop new exclusive products and categories reflecting Balsam Hill’s
unique brand identity and customer lifestyle.
- Maintain vendor relationships; resolve issues and lead negotiations with suppliers and global agents.
- Strategically interpret and align consumer insight to all aspects of the business by
performing market analysis, gathering market data, and regularly shopping
competitors to keep abreast of emerging trends that match targeted
- Monitor multi-channel (online and catalog) performance with rigorous analytics.
- Recommend effective processes and procedures to improve workflow, results and accountability.
- Ensure that all final design details and pre-production-golden samples are approved. Ensure that all collections have a cohesive look and meet quality and brand standards.
- Drive calendar to meet critical dates and manage catalog deadlines to insure
compliance with production schedule and timely receipts.
- Participate in key meetings such as seasonal product style-outs and pagination.
- Travel worldwide to trade shows and prepare trip recaps highlighting product
development priorities and opportunities.
What you’ll bring to the table:
Senior Buyer level experience and perspective, with 5-10 years in the home or seasonal décor space.
Strong understanding of catalog, web based consumer behavior and direct marketing principles.
Proven track record of buying, team collaboration, and project management; strong retail math and analytical skills.
Ability to build constructive and effective relationships with broad group of business partners.
Attention to detail, highly organized, deadline-driven and goal- and results-oriented.
Extremely flexible/adaptable attitude; enjoyment of a “startup” mentality.
Excellent written, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
Demonstration of strong business ownership.
Strong presentation skills; highly literate in Microsoft Excel, Power Point, and Outlook.
About Balsam Brands: Balsam Brands is a multi-brand Ecommerce retailer with roots in holiday and home décor. We strive for excellence in everything we do and present a unique opportunity to those who are seeking to have a meaningful impact in a fast-paced, high-energy environment.
To celebrate its 10th anniversary, our flagship brand, Balsam Hill is partnering with Macy’s to debut
“Deck The Halls”, a wondrous float bringing the magic of Christmas to life in the 90th Anniversary Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade®!
Balsam Brands is honored to be the recipient of multiple awards:
Forbes: America’s Best Small Companies (2016)
Inc. 5000: America’s Fastest Growing Private Companies
(2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
Internet Retailer: Top 500 Retail Websites (2011, 2012,
2013, 2014, 2015)
San Francisco Business Times: Fast 100 – Fastest Growing
Bay Area Companies (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
Silicon Valley Business Journal: 75 Fastest Growing
Private Companies (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
The company's outward focus on building trusted consumer brands along with its internal focus on excellence and being a great place to work have propelled it to consistent, rapid growth.
Location: Redwood City, CA
Notes: This is a full-time, permanent position with benefits.
Contact: Please submit cover letter and resume. Please include in
your cover letter a dish that you would like to bring to one of our monthly
At Balsam Brands, we are dedicated to diversity in our
dynamic and growing workforce and are proud to be an equal opportunity
employer. We consider qualified applicants without regard to race, ethnicity,
religion, age, disability, protected veteran status, marital status,
citizenship, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, or any other
legally protected status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Meet Some of Balsam Brands's Employees
Brand & Visual Merchandising Strategist
Jacob works with various teams across Balsam Brands to optimize websites during the busy holiday season. He works on corporate redesign and ensures the company's visual standard.
Back to top