Learning & Development Specialist – Manila, PH
Balsam Brands is a multi-brand e-Commerce retailer with roots in holiday and home décor. Based in Silicon Valley, the company operates market-leading website such as www.BalsamHill.com. We strive for excellence in everything we do and have been honored to receive the following awards as a result:
- Forbes: America’s Best Small Companies (2016)
- Inc. 5000: America’s Fastest Growing Private Companies (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- San Francisco Business Times: Fast 100 – Fastest Growing Bay Area Companies (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- Silicon Valley Business Journal: 75 Fastest Growing Private Companies (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
The company’s outward focus on building trusted consumer brands along with its internal focus on excellence and being a great place to work have propelled it to consistent, rapid growth.
Balsam International is our Regional Operating Headquarters in the Philippines functioning remotely with a team of hard-working, passionate professionals who contribute significantly to the company’s success. The team in the Philippines enjoy full employee benefits including mandatories (SSS, PAG-IBIG, PhilHealth), 13th month pay, healthcare coverage + 2 dependents, internet subsidy (after regularization), holiday breaks, meal subsidies, company trips and other perks on top of the work-from-home setup.
As Balsam International’s Learning and Development Specialist, you will assist in building upon new and existing learning and development initiatives while providing support in the development of long-term strategies and solutions that support our business needs. You will build internal competencies and drive individual, team, and career growth across the company. You will be the learning and development “go-to” for Team Manila.
What you’ll be doing:
- Identify training needs through constant consultation with functional managers, employees and other stakeholders
- Create and design training curriculum, manuals, course materials, and online learning modules based on identified training needs
- Conduct the actual training for various L&D related initiatives, wherever applicable
- Find new tools that are best-fit for learning and development training for a remote team
- Collaborate with Sr. People Manager and Sr. Global Manager for Learning & Development to establish training programs for the Global Team, with a particular eye on local implementation and approach
- Review current professional development program in Manila and recommend modifications or propose a new approach that will address employee professional growth
- Spearhead administration of current global professional development programs for the Manila team
- Drive on-boarding initiatives from conducting training to creating orientation materials, revisiting on-boarding kits, and checking for retention and progress of new team members
- Build knowledge base materials to be uploaded to easily accessible locations and making sure that all materials are current and relevant
- Ensure changes in norms and/or operations are properly documented in the Handbook or relevant KB document
- Assist in the creation of presentations for various meetings such as teamwides, etc.
What you bring to the table:
- Bachelor’s degree in education, or any relevant course
- 5+ years of relevant experience in corporate learning and development, people program management or an equivalent function
- Extremely well-versed in designing and creating training curriculum and other training materials
- Expert planning and implementation skills, with proven success in learning and development. Project Management experience is a plus
- Experience working within a rapid and complex changing work environment
- Comfort working autonomously as well as closely collaborating with others
- Coaching, influencing, problem-solving and facilitation skills
- Strong knowledge and experience in team dynamics, career development, leadership development
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Curiosity and passion for learning
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Gifted presenter and group facilitator; comfortable in excel and in presentation tools such as PowerPoint
- Knowledge of Learning Management Systems, a plus
- Must live within Metro Manila, Cavite, Rizal, Bulacan or certain parts of Laguna only (Biñan, Cabuyao, Calamba, Los Baños, San Pedro and Santa Rosa).
- Must be willing to join occasional in-person meetings.
- Must have a dedicated, functional laptop that meets the following specifications:
For Windows users:
- OS Windows 7 – 64 bit or higher
- Processor: Intel Core i3 or better
- RAM/Memory: 4GB or higher
- Hard Drive: 500GB or higher
For MAC users:
- Processor: 2GHz Intel Core i7
- Memory: 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
- Start-up Disk Macintosh HD
- Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536MB
- Must have a back-up laptop or desktop for use, if primary laptop encounters issues.
- Must have a fast, reliable DSL, Fiber or Broadband connection (not mobile or broadband stick) as the primary internet connection with a minimum actual speed of 5MBPS.
- Must have a back-up internet connection of the same speed, if primary connection becomes spotty.
- Must have licensed MS Office (Powerpoint, Word, Excel) including Outlook
Status: Full Time
Location: Our corporate offices are based in Northern California with a Regional Operating Headquarters (ROHQ) in the Philippines. The Learning & Development Specialist is a remote working position in Manila. Team members in the Philippines are ideally located within easy driving distance to Metro Manila for occasional team meetings and trainings. They have a great working environment at home with at least 5MBPS internet connection speed. Company executives visit the Philippines regularly so team members attend in-person meetings from time to time.
Back to top