Executive Assistant to the CEO
As a Executive Assistant to the CEO (aka “Mac”), you will be an integral part of the Balsam Brands system. You will do far more than support Mac; you will be a true partner in both his and the company’s success. You will serve as an extension for Mac, often acting or making decisions on his behalf. You will utilize your unique insights to prioritize commitments and flex schedules. You will serve as both the hub of the wheel and as a master mechanic, connecting internal team members and external partners to Mac in the appropriate manner, using your expert judgment and intuition.
We are looking for a top performer who is seeking an environment full of thoughtful, kind and driven people. We expect you to be self-driven, not super human. We will encourage you to bring your whole self to Balsam Brands. In that vein, in your role as EA you will support not just a sliver of Mac, but his full self, including a wide range of professional and personal priorities. We may be biased, but we believe that this role is a one-of-a-kind opportunity to make a deep impact, create long-lasting relationships and build a truly fulfilling career.
What you'll do:
- Serve as the first line of support for those needing Mac. Research, prioritize, and follow up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to Mac, including tight timelines and sensitive information.
- Serve as Master Calendar Optimizer. Support Mac in managing his time and schedule by:
- Communicating and prioritizing relentlessly, optimizing Mac’s calendar with professional and personal commitments.
- Keeping Mac informed of and prepared for upcoming commitments and responsibilities and following up appropriately.
- Prioritizing conflicting needs; handling matters expeditiously and proactively.
- Support all facets of Mac’s complex and detailed global travel, including but not limited to owning logistics, itineraries, meeting agendas, and coordination.
- Serve as liaison for Mac as needed with external partners and team members.
- Own monthly all staff presentation; set agenda, produce content, and coordinate functional slide contributions.
- Support leadership meetings and offsites as needed by taking notes, tracking action items, and assisting with the production of materials and pre-reads.
- Coordinate large group meetings involving the leadership team and senior colleagues.
- Process written and verbal correspondence on behalf of Mac. E-mail organization as needed.
- Prepare and submit monthly expense reports.
- Assist Mac with various personal projects and tasks (~30% time).
- Mentor junior members of the Balsam Brands admin team, providing support & perspective, as needed.
- Assist with ad hoc special projects, events, and additional executive assistance, as needed.
You’ll be successful if:
- You are deeply relationship-oriented and value building relationships up, down, and across organizations.
- You find fulfillment in the unpredictable, ad hoc special projects that come your way.
- You exude flexibility, both in terms of role and schedule. (There will be occasional work beyond the 9-5 timeframe.)
- You bring experience working as an Executive Assistant in a company growing from a small(ish) start-up to a mid-sized company, intent on retaining the most special aspects of its culture while scaling for the next chapter.
What you bring to the table:
- 5+ years of experience assisting senior leaders.
- Relentless drive to pursue excellence, combined with judgement to prioritize against individual and company goals.
- Calendar jenga skills: a knack for coordinating schedules of very busy people to ensure optimal collaboration time.
- Resourcefulness and adaptability:
- You are game for a dynamically changing and sometimes ambiguous environment.
- You embrace evolving priorities and shift gears easy and often.
- You work efficiently with minimal guidance.
- You have a unique ability to “see around corners.” You anticipate needs before they arise and ensure that everyone is as prepared as possible for efficient and successful collaboration.
- Related to the above: you have crystal ball reading skills. (Just kidding… well, sort of!). You predict the needs of and provide support to Mac, especially when he’s out of office.
- Forward-looking thinking: you actively seek opportunities and propose solutions. You have a passion for optimization and process improvement.
- The highest level of discretion and confidentiality to handle sensitive information. Strong sense of integrity, both internally and externally. You exercise poise, tact, diplomacy, professionalism, and discretion.
- Continual attention to detail in composing materials, establishing priorities, and meeting deadlines.
- Exceptionaly strong organization and time management skills, dependability, and follow-through.
- Strong communication (verbal, written) and interpersonal skills (high EQ!). Exceptional ability to interface with all levels of the team and a wide range of external partners.
- Can-do and positive attitude: you are welcoming, considerate, resourceful, and quick on your feet!
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
About Balsam Brands: Balsam Brands is a multi-brand eCommerce retailer with roots in holiday and home décor. We strive for excellence in everything we do and present a unique opportunity to those who are seeking to have a meaningful impact in a fast-paced, high-energy environment. We love to reimagine eCommerce and retail in ways that thrill our customers, and to leave a lasting impact on the world around us. We have fast-growing teams in the Bay Area, Boise, Manila, and Dublin.
The company's outward focus on building trusted consumer brands along with its internal focus on excellence and being a great place to work have propelled it to consistent, rapid growth.
- Balsam Brands in Forbes: http://bit.ly/balsamforbes
- Balsam Brands on The Muse: https://www.themuse.com/companies/balsambrands
Location: Redwood City, CA
Notes: This is a full-time, permanent position with benefits.
Contact: Please submit a cover letter and resume. Please include in your cover letter a dish that you would like to bring to one of our potlucks.
At Balsam Brands, we are dedicated to diversity in our dynamic and growing workforce and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, age, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, citizenship, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
Meet Some of Balsam Brands's Employees
Judy designs many of the products and features that users experience at Balsam Brands. She uses her creativity to bring life and energy to beautiful products.
Back to top