Controller - Boise, ID
The Controller will oversee nearly all aspects of Balsam Brands’ financial closing and reporting process and collaborate to build and refine the accounting and finance functions. The Controller will be a GAAP guru – familiar with acronyms such as FIFO, EBITDA, LCM, ASC, and FASB – and focus on internal controls, internal and external financial reporting, budgeting, forecasting, and team building.
Our ideal candidate is someone who loves teamwork, pays attention to the details, can tease-out important observations from large amounts of data, maintains a balance between “being in the weeds” and “working at 30,000 feet”, manages competing priorities, thrives in a deadline-driven environment, and is both a creative leader and makes things happen in the trenches!
What you’ll be doing:
- Own the design, implementation, timely completion, and efficacy of internal controls
- Oversee monthly, quarterly, and annual internal reporting activities
- Lead the annual financial close and reporting process, including the preparation of GAAP-based financial statements and footnotes
- Communicate financial results and observations to Balsam Brands colleagues
- Act as a steward over the company’s assets and confidential information
- Develop tools and dashboards to capture and summarize information in a manner that supports timely data-driven decision making
- Liaise with external vendors and stakeholders, including banks, tax accountants, brokers, and auditors, to comply with laws and reporting deadlines. Work with internal thought partners to establish and track budgets and forecast future financial performance
- Oversee tax compliance, including the filing of sales, income, and property tax reports and returns
- Manage accounting and finance colleagues and play a key role in their personal and professional development
- Be accretive to the Balsam Brands’ culture and help make this a place where employees love their jobs
What you bring to the table:
- 10+ years of experience in accounting and finance
- 5+ years of managing internal controls or related audits
- 5+ years of direct responsibility for financial statement preparation or related audits
- CPA or CMA designation preferred
- 3+ years of oversight for budgeting and forecasting activities
- Deep understanding of sales, income, and property tax rules and regulations preferred
- 3+ years of experience managing a team and developing their functional expertise and thought leadership
- Experience managing and working with geographically dispersed teams
- Knowledge of international financial reporting standards preferred; knowledge of financial reporting consolidations
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and accounting tools, especially MS Excel and QuickBooks
- Demonstrated ability to analyze large amounts of data and draw insightful conclusions
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Creative problem solver
- Experience in e-commerce retail preferred
- Bachelors or Masters degree in accounting or finance preferred
About Balsam Brands: Balsam Brands is a multi-brand Ecommerce retailer with roots in holiday and home décor. We strive for excellence in everything we do and present a unique opportunity to those who are seeking to have a meaningful impact in a fast-paced, high-energy environment.
To celebrate its 10th anniversary, our flagship brand, Balsam Hill is partnering with Macy’s to debut "Deck The Halls", a wondrous float bringing the magic of Christmas to life in the 90th Anniversary Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade®!
Balsam Brands is honored to be the recipient of multiple awards:
- Forbes: America’s Best Small Companies (2016)
- Inc. 5000: America’s Fastest Growing Private Companies (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- Internet Retailer: Top 500 Retail Websites (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- San Francisco Business Times: Fast 100 – Fastest Growing Bay Area Companies (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- Silicon Valley Business Journal: 75 Fastest Growing Private Companies (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
The company's outward focus on building trusted consumer brands along with its internal focus on excellence and being a great place to work have propelled it to consistent, rapid growth.
Location: Boise, ID
Notes: This is a full-time, permanent position with benefits.
Contact: Please submit cover letter and resume. Please include in your cover letter a dish that you would like to bring to one of our potlucks.
At Balsam Brands, we are dedicated to diversity in our dynamic and growing workforce and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, age, disability, protected veteran status, marital status,citizenship, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
Back to top