Chief Technology Officer
Eleven years into our eCommerce retailing journey, we are primed to realize our potential through technology. We have the core starting ingredients - a team driven to pursue excellence, strong external partnerships, and a world-class eCommerce platform. Crafting and pursuing the overarching technological vision is next. We view a strong technology strategy as a critical component of our future growth and are looking for a leader who is eager to build this with us.
With partnership from our Leadership Team, you will establish, implement, and guide Balsam Brands’ technology strategy. You will be entrepreneurial, building and leading a high-performing team with broad technological scope including our eCommerce web stores, order fulfillment systems, customer service tools, and internal IT strategy. You will oversee an internal Engineering and Development team of eight to ten, including Director-level reports, as well as a suite of external partners. You will be responsible for driving improvements in technology, processes, and tools that contribute to the overall growth and profitability of the business.
We are looking for a hands-on, driven, and innovative technology leader who can translate business vision into technological strategy. Using your breadth of experience, you will evaluate the current structure of the technology organization against our objectives and then recommend and implement changes that will result in optimal performance and risk mitigation as the company scales. You’ll work closely with team members throughout all levels of the organization and will partner with the Operations, eCommerce, Finance, and Marketing teams. You will also work with IT partners, technology vendors, and external software development partners to develop technology solutions to meet broad business goals.
What you’ll do:
- Build Balsam Brands’ technology roadmap and work with the broader engineering team to execute it
- Strategic leadership: you will lead the evaluation of our technical landscape and redefine/design our technology strategy and roadmap
- Evaluate the end-to-end risks in our eCommerce technologies and identify opportunities to reduce exposure
- Oversee the company’s technology and IT budgets; run robust RFP processes to meet business needs with the highest-value solution
- Recruit, motivate, mentor and lead a high-caliber team; actively coach and mentor team members in their professional development, building upon their technical capabilities
- Manage and strengthen the relationships with our 3rd party software development partners, and build relationships with new partners
- Oversee the software development processes, maintenance, and enhancements of existing software products, and custom development of Balsam Brands tech stack/platform
- Form strong collaborative relationships with cross-functional partners, including the eCommerce team for product direction; translate business goals into strategic technical plans
- Educate business partners on technical innovations and considerations
- Develop strategies to meet the business’ growing IT needs, in-house or through 3rd party partnerships
What you bring to the table:
- 10+ years in development, 5+ in a senior role (VP/Director/Sr. Architect)
- Bachelor’s degree or above in Computer Science and Computer Information Systems
- Experience helping companies scale and building high-performance teams
- Deep understanding of eCommerce technologies, development approaches, and operations; understanding of fundamental business and technology trends
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and work successfully with a globally distributed team
- Ability to see the forest for the trees – we operate in a competitive and rapidly evolving market; you must be able to abstract away from the details and see the big picture
- Adaptable, enthusiastic, and willing to take ownership
- Familiarity with: Java/OO-Programming, MVC, JIRA, GIT, JQuery, Agile, Scrum
- Experience with eCommerce platform integrations (Java-based eCommerce platform is a plus) and CRM software (e.g., Salesforce)
- Exceptional written, and verbal communication skills
- Inquisitive, analytical, and creative problem solver
Location: Downtown Boise, ID
Notes: This is a full-time, permanent position with benefits.
Contact: Please submit cover letter and resume. Please include in your cover letter a dish that you would like to bring to one of our potlucks.
About Balsam Brands
Balsam Brands is a multi-brand eCommerce retailer with roots in holiday and home décor. We strive for excellence in everything we do and present a unique opportunity to those who are seeking to have a meaningful impact in a fast-paced, high-energy environment. We love to reimagine eCommerce and retail in ways that thrill our customers, and to leave a lasting impact on the world around us. We have fast-growing teams in the Bay Area, Boise, Manila, and Dublin.
The company's outward focus on building trusted consumer brands along with its internal focus on excellence and being a great place to work have propelled it to consistent, rapid growth.
- Balsam Brands in Forbes: http://bit.ly/balsamforbes
- Balsam Brands on The Muse: https://www.themuse.com/companies/balsambrands
At Balsam Brands, we are dedicated to diversity in our dynamic and growing workforce and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, age, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, citizenship, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
Meet Some of Balsam Brands's Employees
Judy designs many of the products and features that users experience at Balsam Brands. She uses her creativity to bring life and energy to beautiful products.
Back to top