Windows Senior Systems Engineer
- Stafford, VA
BAE Systems is excited to offer an opportunity to support a dynamic DOJ program as a Windows Systems Engineer, providing mission critical support to our federal law enforcement customer. This mission ensures the operational availability of state-of-the-art technologies and requires technical expertise to enhance and support investigative efforts for Counterintelligence, Counter-terrorism, Criminal Investigative, and Cyber-crime Programs. If you are looking for an opportunity to help shape the future architecture for client forensic networked systems, work with a very diverse team of technical professionals, and share your knowledge and experiences, then this position if for you!
This position is part of a talented technical team responsible for the ongoing development, operations and maintenance of several networked systems supporting digital forensic investigations running primarily on Windows. The ideal candidate must be a self-starter with strong work habits, is able to complete task independently while working as part of a team, and have demonstrated career experience in maintaining large numbers of Windows servers. Experience should include designing and rolling out new systems, maintaining, upgrading, replacing, and improving the long-term performance of the systems.
The Systems Engineer will support a variety of operating systems (primarily Windows, Linux) and other IT services, such as storage appliances (SAN, NAS, DAS, etc.), file servers, webservers, and virtualization platforms (VMware, Hyper-V, Citrix). Will utilize scripting languages (including PowerShell) to automate tedious, repetitive, and/or error prone tasks related to installation, configuration, and management of IT systems and services. Experience with Powershell and Windows Server 2016 are critical skills for this position.
The Systems Engineer will facilitate all facets of a typical system administrators routine and ad-hoc administration responsibilities including but not limited to: system builds, image management, system security, log review, backups, storage configuration, virtual platform maintenance, patch management, antivirus administration, hardware and software upgrades, performance and functionality troubleshooting, task automation, creation of system documentation, and continuous service improvement.
This position requires a high level of communication interacting with government and contractor personnel in a matrix team environment and requires clear written and verbal communication skills. As a senior member of the team, this position affords the opportunity to assess and recommend improvements to the technology and processes used to maintain the systems and network as well as to enable improvements to the digital forensic and evidence collections missions of the team.
Some duties of the position include:
- Serving as a senior member of the team supporting the installation, optimization, integration, troubleshooting, backup, recovery, modification, security, and upgrading of IT systems and components
- Working with members of the infrastructure team to minimize down time
- Providing services that enable customers to effectively apply IT to business requirements
- Sharing knowledge of tools and mechanisms for distributing new or upgraded software to ensure customers receive current versions of supported software, as they become available
- Working with other senior staff to recommend and design systems architecture and topology from both general and specific perspectives
- Assisting, recommending, establishing and maintaining appropriate server baseline
- Maintaining up to date patching of applicable Windows and Linux servers
- Building servers by providing technical configuration, setup, installation services, hardware and coordination of application projects
- Maintaining operation of multi-user computer systems, including coordination with Windows Systems Administrators and Network Engineers
- Setting up administrator and service accounts
- Maintaining system documentation
- Tuning system performance
- Building and maintaining Active Directory structures and Group Policy
- The candidate must have an Active TS Security clearance and willing to undergo a Counter Intelligence Polygraph. Candidate will not be considered without it.
- Bachelors degree with 10 years experience or equivalent combination of skills and experience
- 10+ years of experience in managing and administering multiple, heterogeneous computer networks in both production and development environments
- Strong experience supporting Windows environments is required. Experience with Windows Server 2016 or newer is highly desired
- Must be well versed working with Powershell
- 5+ years of experience in the design, implementation, and maintenance of Active Directory services and Microsoft enterprise management (e.g., SCOM, SCCM) and collaboration tools (e.g., Unified Communications, SharePoint) consistent with Microsoft best practices.
- 5+ years of experience with the design and implementation of CITRIX-based IT solutions, including Netscaler, XenServer, XenApp, and XenDesktop
- 5+ years of experience in the design, configuration, deployment, and on-site installation of complex IT solutions
- 5+ years of experience in the evaluation, design, testing, configuration, and maintenance of network storage solutions, to include experience with Microsoft Storage Spaces
- Proven skills, knowledge, and abilities administering a variety of operating systems (Windows, Linux) and other IT services such as storage appliances, file servers, webservers, and virtualization platforms
- Experience utilizing scripting languages (including PowerShell) to automate tedious, repetitive, and/or error prone tasks related to installation, configuration, and management of IT systems and services. Must have PowerShell experience
- Must have excellent communication skills (written and verbal) and be comfortable working in a collaborative environment with a matrix team made up of government and contractor personnel
- Previous experience as a Systems Administration utilizing Linux and Windows platforms.
- Proven working knowledge of database technology
- Extensive knowledge of TCP/IP, LDAP and other core technologies
- Ability to monitor servers, determine health, and proactively provide alerts and recommendations when server performance is outside of baseline
- Ability to demonstrate strong understanding of network and server security
- Proficient at automating manual processes with regard to server operations and maintenance
- Knowledge of multiple operating systems, applications, and database platforms
- Understanding of government Information Security policies and procedures
- Strong understanding of Active Directory and Group Policy
- Working knowledge of Agile and Scrum methodologies
- Microsoft Azure and/or AWS cloud experience highly desired
- Experience working on digital forensics technology or related technologies for law enforcement or intelligence community customers is a plus
- Experience working on an Agile team
- Willingness to implement Lean principles, Agile engineering and DevSecOps
BAE Systems Intelligence & Security, based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do-from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels. That's BAE Systems. That's Inspired Work. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression. To see Inspired Work in action, visit www.baesystems.com and follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/baesystemsintel.
Back to top