Welder 1st Class Mechanic
BAE Systems is hiring Welders 1st class mechanics to support the Norfolk Ship Repair facility.
A welder welds together metal components as specified by blueprints, work orders, or oral instructions through the use of weld equipment and tools.
Key Responsibilities & Functional Knowledge
This list is representative of the key areas of responsibility and functional knowledge required of a first class mechanic in the Outside Machinist shop. A first class mechanic must demonstrate an advanced knowledge of the skills, functional knowledge and abilities required to perform tasks in these and related areas of responsibility.
Advanced knowledge means that the mechanic understands how to perform tasks in these categories (including, but not limited to, the specific tasks identified below) and is able to complete them independently and teach others how to complete the tasks. This also means that the mechanic has the necessary level of knowledge of the equipment, protective gear, and machinery required to complete these tasks. A first class mechanic also is expected to strategize independently and problem-solve as appropriate.
Welding & Installation
• Weld structural steel in all positions.
• Weld stainless steel and carbon steel and possibly other alloys
Examine work pieces for defects and measure work pieces with straightedges or templates to ensure conformance with specifications
Required Skills and Education
Practical Theory Requirements
Education Minimum: High School Diploma/GED
Minimum Relevant Experience: 4 to 7 yrs.
A first class mechanic must demonstrate an advanced understanding of various structural welds and how to operate and maintain the machines that fabricate and repair metal structures, equipment and machinery. Must be proficient in obtained welding certification: SMAW plate, SMAW Pipe, GTAW Pipe, and any other certification.
• Must be able to read, write and comprehend simple instructions
• Must be able to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions in written, oral or diagram form
• Must be able to calculate and understand units of measure, including fractions and decimals
• Must know how to measure using a scale and tape measure
• Must be able to wear safety PPE and use personal hand tools (adjustable wrenches, wire cutters, pliers, etc.)
Must be able to obtain a government access badge.
This job description does not include all activities, duties or responsibilities required for this position. The key duties, responsibilities and requirements identified in this description are subject to modification by the Company (in consultation with the Union, as appropriate) at any time.
Preferred Skills and Education
Education Preferred: High school Diploma/GED
Preferred Relevant Experience: 5 to 8 yrs.
Must work towards or be enrolled in on-going measures for certification: (Preferred)
• Certification in shielded metal arc welding (SMAW), also known as manual metal arc welding (MMA or MMAW), flux shielded arc welding or informally as stick welding (manual arc welding process that uses a consumable electrode covered with a flux to lay the weld)
• Certification in flux-cored arc welding (FCAW or FCA) (a semi-automatic or automatic arc welding process)
• Certification in gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW) (arc welding process that uses a non-consumable tungsten electrode to produce the weld)
• Certification in gas metal arc welding (GMAW) (a welding process in which an electric arc forms between a consumable wire electrode and the work piece metal(s), which heats the work piece metal(s), causing them to melt, and join)
• Certification in submerged arc welding (SAW) (a common arc welding process that requires a continuously fed consumable solid or tubular (metal cored) electrode)
• Other certifications for welding various materials to include: carbon steel, stainless steel, copper nickel, and aluminum
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. Platforms & Services designs, develops, produces, supports, maintains, modernizes and upgrades armored combat vehicles, wheeled vehicles, naval guns, surface ship combatants, commercial vessels, missile launchers, artillery systems, military ordnance, and protective wear and armor. Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Vice President, Finance
Chandra helps steer the overall financial direction of BAE Systems’ headquarters. She interacts with many teams to lead mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general maintenance of all the numbers.
Back to top