Technology Development Manager - Remote Sensing
The Advanced Sensor Processing group within BAE Systems Fast Labs is looking for a Technology Development Manager to lead execution and capture of advanced technology research and development programs. We are seeking a motivated individual to join our team in a leadership role to generate and mature innovative ideas and new customers in the realm of remote sensing systems, including imaging systems, low SWaP processing systems, and integrated multi-INT sensors and processing systems. The Advanced Sensor Processing group is currently engaged in numerous projects, including: development and transition of small SWaP sensor and processing systems on airborne, terrestrial, space, and underwater platforms, development of ultra-low power computing systems, algorithm deployment on low power hardware devices for video and signal processing, and open software architectures in ISR systems. The Advanced Sensor Processing group is part of BAE Systems' FAST Labs division that is heavily involved in advanced research concepts primarily for the various government research labs and organizations, including DARPA, AFRL, ONR, ARL, and IARPA.
We are seeking candidates who have the ability to lead the execution of advanced technical projects as a Principal Investigator, and ultimately shape new programs in a business development capacity. An appropriate candidate should have background in one or more of the following fields: remote sensing, sensor development, sensor-system software architecture, image and video processing, signal processing, embedded processing hardware design, or systems engineering. The ideal candidate would have exposure to multiple technical domains having worked complex multi-disciplinary sensing and processing projects. The ability to shape and generate new research programs in a business development capacity is also highly desirable.
Ideal candidates will also have extensive hands-on experience with all areas of the system development process including requirements capture, analysis and documentation; sensor computer simulations and performance modeling; system architecture and design; software architecture, design, and management; engineering reviews; system test and verification, and use of systems analysis tools. The candidate must be able to supervise internal and external engineers and scientists to drive system development from concept to prototype system fabrication and deployment, and present technical and programmatic information to external customers. Occasional travel will be required to various facilities to attend customer meetings, coordinate internal strategy, or to oversee system testing.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead innovative system development projects with responsibility for achievement of cost, schedule, and technical requirements, with an eye toward technology maturation, transition, and follow-on work
- Create conceptual system designs, assess risks, conduct design trade studies, and develop cost effective products that meet the program requirements for integrating sensor, processing, and software systems in airborne and ground-based environments
- Generate new business with novel and innovative ideas, including close customer interaction
- Act as technical capture lead for proposals and new business capture efforts
- Perform analyses and computer simulations of complex systems to facilitate trade studies and system architecture specification
- Oversee development and implementation of complex system software and processing architectures
- Direct, supervise, and mentor junior engineers and designers with a wide breadth of domain expertise: algorithm developers, software developers, embedded processing systems experts, and physical sensor designers
Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status.
Typical Education & Experience
Required Skills and Education
- 4+ years with Ph.D. (6+ years with M.S., 8+ years with B.S.) in scientific or engineering discipline
- Prior experience as principal investigator, program manager, or chief engineer
- Experience with complex systems engineering design, construction, integration and test
- Ability to obtain security clearance
- Demonstrated experience in one of the following areas:
- Real-time embedded processing system and software architecture and implementation
- Design, fabrication, and testing of remote sensing systems
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Physics, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Science
- Principal investigator, program manager, or chief engineer on multi-year projects
- Previous experience as successful technical proposal development lead
- TS/SCI security clearance
- Demonstrated prior technical experience in any of the following areas:
- Heterogeneous processing systems and software algorithm implementations using FPGAs, GPUs, and high-performance computing devices
- Complex multi-sensor (optical, RF) system integration
- Experience as a DARPA program Principal Investigator
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top