Technology Development Manager - Next Generation Autonomy
Next Generation Autonomy
Technology Development Manager
BAE Systems is looking for a Technology Development Manager II to Capture Business in advanced computing concepts to enable the next generation of human-machine and machine-machine teaming . In this role, you will lead cutting-edge advanced computing research impacting real-world problems to keep our country safe!
Who we are:
The BAE Systems' Intelligent Adaptive Software (IAS) directorate is a leading multidisciplinary R&D department dedicated to meeting critical U.S. military needs. Our directorate specializes in research in computer science, software engineering, and artificial intelligence for autonomous systems - investigating, developing, and evaluating innovative technology across a variety of domains for customers in the Department of Defense (DoD) and Intelligence Community (IC). Our research spans the R&D lifecycle, from basic and applied research up through advanced technology demonstration to transitioning our results to business areas within our organization and in some cases directly to our government customers.
Join us for amazing R&D challenges and work on revolutionary advanced computing technology that makes a direct real-world impact!
What we offer:
• Cutting edge advanced computing research
• Application to real-world challenge problems
• Collaboration with investigators from top computer science departments
• Exceptional teammates
• Opportunities to learn and grow
• A fun workplace, excellent benefits, and every other Friday off
Our Technology Focus:
- Human-machine teaming
- Calibrated trust
- Composable systems
- Autonomous teams
- Partial compute models
- Explainable software
- Adaptive software and hardware
Who you are:
We seek an experienced Technology Development Manager II to work all phases - business capture, proposal development, program execution, research lead, project management - of next-generation autonomy R&D efforts. Primary emphasis is on the development of new and existing customer relationships at DARPA, AFRL, and the IC in areas relating to developing and maturing innovative technology to create human-machine teaming with new levels of trusted, effective autonomy and automation. Building on the technologies listed above, you are supported by our team to capture and execute new research that can compose new systems with various levels of autonomy, distributed on various computational nodes, and extend the cognitive and mission capability of the warfighter. You have keen insights and active relationships into the research communities, and you are able to connect new concepts with S&T funding agencies to bring in new research contracts.
Specific Technology Development Manager (TDM) Job Responsibilities include:
- Business Development: The TDM provides leadership oversight and active engagement in the development and pursuit of business opportunities, with primary responsibility for business capture. The TDM maintains awareness of the company's competitive position and identifies potential new products or business and pursues them with support from company leadership; leads technical proposals, serving as capture manager; plans critical long-range technological requirements to enhance company objectives and independently identifies and solves significant problems associated with the success of current and critical long-range objectives.
- Program Execution: The TDM serves in a leadership role on highly complex research or system engineering efforts, as a principle investigator, program manager, or technical lead. The TDM works across a broad range of disciplines to structure undefined programs, identify key technical issues and define alternative approaches and resolutions; applies and develops advanced technologies, principles, theories, and concepts; maintains liaison with customer or contractor representatives to manage, review, monitor, and evaluate alignment with customer's objective and contractual requirements; defines program requirements; prepares and delivers presentations; prepares status and progress reports and periodically briefs customer representatives on the program status.
- Project Management: The TDM p rovides project management, reporting, and documentation for both internal and external stakeholders, and on some projects may serve as the Project Manager. In this capacity the TDM manages project tasks (resource allocation and scheduling) for small-to-medium sized groups of 1-10 people. The TDM also participates in external project interactions with other companies. Project Managers are supported by Finance and Contracts functional groups.
- Business Operations: The TDM works closely with the director in executing the business plan to meet financial goals within the set upon budget and available resources. Tasks include the setting of a healthy backlog to support the staff, identifying the business opportunities, risks and opportunities to meet the financial goals, and prioritizing the marketing opportunities to grow the organization and to ensure continuous alignment of new projects with the key technology areas of the directorate.
- Organizational Representative: The TDM may be called upon to represent the company in high visibility and rapid turnaround activities entailing travel and heavy customer/teammate interaction. Such activities are in quick response to unforeseen circumstances requiring a steep learning curve and tactful engineering professionalism.
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 10 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Doctorate degree in an Engineering or Scientific field discipline with 10 years professional experience; Master's degree with 13 years professional experience; Bachelor's Degree with 15 years of experience.
- Proved track record across all stages of business development lifecycle, culminating in crafting winning proposals with customers interested in high assurance technologies.
- Highly respected in science and technology (S&T) academic communities, with strong leadership in relevant professional community as demonstrated through publication record, program/review committees, standards participation, invited talks/panels, and/or patents.
- Demonstrated technical leadership with strong written and communication skills; experience in preparing highly technical briefs for DoD and IC customers (e.g., DARPA, IARPA, AFRL) is strongly preferred) - commensurate experience with similar customer base will be considered.
- US Citizenship and must be eligible for a SECRET clearance.
- Preferred Education - MS or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, or related field.
- Top Secret/SCI clearance desirable.
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Vice President, Finance
Chandra helps steer the overall financial direction of BAE Systems’ headquarters. She interacts with many teams to lead mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general maintenance of all the numbers.
Back to top