Technical Director, Free Space Optical Communications
You don't see it, but it's there. Our employees work on the world's most advanced electronics - from saving emissions in the City of Lights to powering the Mars Rover to protecting the F-35 fighter jet. At Electronic Systems, you'll be among the brightest minds, working on the aerospace and defense industry's most difficult problems. Drawing strength from our differences, we're innovating for the future. And you can, too. Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first - exemplified by our missions: "We Protect Those Who Protect Us®" and "We Innovate For Those Who Move The WorldTM." Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with BAE Systems.
BAE Systems is currently seeking a Technical Director to set the technology vision for our growing Free Space Optical Communications portfolio. We are a leader in the development of laser communications terminals and processing for multiple domain applications. Our business is experiencing exponential growth in this area, which is driving the need for a dedicated Technical Director to build a strong foundation for our Laser Communications product offering for years to come.
This business is part of our growing Command, Control, Communications, Computing, Intelligence, Surveillance & Reconnaissance (C4ISR) Systems Business Area. C4ISR Systems is developing innovative capabilities across the C4ISR mission domain for Advanced Analytics, Adaptive Electronic Warfare / Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) /Cyber, Combat identification, Imagery Sensing and Exploitation, Space Security, and Undersea Warfare. We are a pathfinder in our defense and intelligence markets, focused on delivering disruptive technology to give our customers the edge they need.
The Technical Director leads a team to develop a product and technology roadmap across multiple programs. The selected candidate is a Subject Matter Expert in this domain and will manage a portfolio of internal and contracted research and development efforts to provide us with discriminators in this market. The position can be based in Hudson, NH, or Manassas, VA.
Specific responsibilities include:
Being an active partner with the business to mature technology for growth by:
- Engaging with business leadership to drive technology maturation in support of the product roadmap
- Driving product and technology roadmaps to guide investment strategies
- Collaborating across the business and externally to leverage technology for growth
- Identifying white space opportunities for growth as well as technology gaps
- Engaging inside and outside the business to understand the current and emerging mission space in this domain, and relevant technology trends to predict future breakthroughs, innovation, potential partners and competitor strategies
- Engaging inside the business to leverage investment funds for targeted technology development to enable growth
- Capturing relevant Intellectual Property (IP) for the business and manage the Laser Communications IP portfolio
- Driving strategic alignment across our Sector to enable business growth
- Driving our technology solutions organization, FAST Labs, to capture priorities that meet our long term technology needs
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 12 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Requires SECRET Security Clearance and TS/SCI with Poly Eligible
- Minimum 12 years of technical leadership experience and mission/domain knowledge of emerging C4ISR systems and capabilities relevant to the business
- Bachelor Degree and 12+ years related Experience (Advanced Degree Preferred)
- Recognized mission/technical expert in the laser communications and/or precision pointing and tracking domain
- Minimum 8 years of collaboration and the ability to achieve goals and produce outcomes through influencing skills
- Ability to form a vision and implement action plans to achieve that vision
- Proven ability to share and transfer technology across organizational boundaries to the benefit of our customers and the business
- Advanced Technical Degree
- Experience in Intellectual Property Management
- Top Secret / SCI Clearance (CI Poly)
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top