Technical Director, Free Space Optical Communications
BAE Systems is looking for a Technical Director to set the technology vision for our growing Free Space Optical Communications portfolio. We are a leader in the development of laser communications terminals and processing for multiple domain applications. Our business is experiencing exponential growth in this area, which is driving the need for a dedicated Technical Director to build a strong foundation for our Laser Communications product offering for years to come.
The Technical Director leads our team to develop a discriminating product and technology roadmap across multiple programs. The selected candidate is a Subject Matter Expert in this domain and will manage a portfolio of Internal and Contracted Research and Development efforts to provide us with discriminators in this market. The position can be based in Hudson, NH, or Manassas, VA.
This business is part of our growing Command, Control, Communications, Computing, Intelligence, Surveillance & Reconnaissance (C4ISR) Systems Business Area. C4ISR Systems is developing innovative capabilities across the C4ISR mission domain for Advanced Analytics, Adaptive Electronic Warfare / Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) /Cyber, Combat identification, Imagery Sensing and Exploitation, Space Security, and Undersea Warfare. We are a pathfinder in our defense and intelligence markets, focused on delivering disruptive technology to give our customers the edge they need.
Specific responsibilities include:
Being an active partner with the business to mature technology for growth by:
- Engaging with business leadership to drive technology maturation in support of the product roadmap.
- Driving product and technology roadmaps to guide investment strategies.
- Collaborating across the business and externally to leverage technology for growth.
- Identifying white space opportunities for growth as well as technology gaps.
Lead Technology Infusion into our products by:
- Engaging inside and outside the business to understand the current and emerging mission space in this domain, and relevant technology trends to predict future breakthroughs, innovation, potential partners and competitor strategies.
- Engaging inside the business to leverage investment funds for targeted technology development to enable growth.
- Capturing relevant Intellectual Property (IP) for the business and manage the Laser Communications IP portfolio.
- Driving strategic alignment across our Sector to enable business growth.
- Driving our technology solutions organization, FAST Labs, to capture priorities that meet our long term technology needs.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 12 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Bachelor Degree and 12+ years related Experience (Advanced Degree Preferred)
- Recognized mission/technical expert in the laser communications and/or precision pointing and tracking domain.
- Minimum 8 years of collaboration and the ability to achieve goals and produce outcomes through influencing skills.
- Ability to form a vision and implement action plans to achieve that vision.
- Minimum 12 years of technical leadership experience and mission/domain knowledge of emerging C4ISR systems and capabilities relevant to the business.
- Proven ability to share and transfer technology across organizational boundaries to the benefit of our customers and the business.
- Aligned with the BAE Systems Code of Conduct.
- Requires SECRET Security Clearance and TS/SCI with Poly Eligible
- Advanced Technical Degree
- Experience in Intellectual Property Management
- Top Secret / SCI Clearance (CI Poly)
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top