Tech Writer/Editor I
I. To develop, write and edit material for civil engineering manuals, technical publications including changes and rewrites, time compliant technical orders (TCTOs), technical order page supplements (TOPS), reports, briefs, instruction manuals, catalogs and other technical publications concerned with engineering or related technical disciplines.
II. PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Duties and responsibilities which occupy a major portion of time and importance in the job. Incumbent(s) perform one or more of the following duties.)
1. Reviews instructions, regulations, and guidelines, and similar material to become familiar with product or process terminology. Reviews drawings and other data relative to operation, maintenance, testing and service of equipment. Studies blueprints, sketches, drawings, parts lists, specifications, mockups and product samples to integrate and delineate technology, operating procedure, and production sequence and details.
2. Organizes material and performs writing assignments according to specifications regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style and terminology. Writes technical descriptions using knowledge of material standards, industrial processes and operating procedures. Reviews published materials and recommend revisions or changes in scope, format, and content. Selects photographs, drawings, sketches, diagrams or charts to illustrate materials or sequences.
3. Edits material for spelling, grammar, syntax, capitalization, consistency, format and conformance to specifications.
4. Ensures document format, performance, physical characteristics and testing requirements meet contract specifications.
5. May prepare breakout sketches of designed assemblies and subassemblies for input to graphic designers or illustrators.
6. Maintains records and files of work and revisions.
7. Arranges and coordinates graphics, and typing of prepared material.
8. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience Required Skills and Education
Bachelor Degree or 3 years of experience in lieu of a degree
- Required Skills
Knowledge of technical data management policies. Knowledge of the Air Force Technical Order Management system. Knowledge of grammar, writing, punctuation, editing practices and style practices. Review contractor provided technical data/manuals that must often be tailored or modified to fix language and configuration of existing related ICBM weapon system technical data.
Preferred Skills and Education
Preferred Skills and Education
A Bachelor’s degree in technical writing is preferred but not required with the appropriate demonstrable experience. Review contractor provided technical data/manuals that must often be tailored or modified to fix language and configuration of existing related ICBM weapon system technical data. Experience with Arbortext and FrameMaker.
About BAE Systems Intelligence & Security BAE Systems Intelligence & Security, based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do—from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels. That’s BAE Systems. That’s Inspired Work.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression. To see Inspired Work in action, visit www.baesystems.com and follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/baesystemsintel. EEO Career Site Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities . females . veterans . individuals with disabilities . sexual orientation . gender identity . gender expression
Back to top