Systems Engineer - Weapons Systems
In close coordination with the Project Lead or Integrated Product Team (IPT) Lead and the Systems Engineering Integration & Test (SEIT) Lead, the Systems Engineer supports the planning for and execution of Systems Engineering, Integration and Test activities on the program. Applies advanced knowledge of Systems Engineering principles and practices to develop innovative solutions to complex technical problems. Works with others on multidisciplinary design teams to satisfy project technical, performance, cost, schedule, and quality requirements in accordance with Systems Engineering methodology. This position shall be located at our Minneapolis site.
Specifically, the Systems Engineer:
- Supports development, management and implementation of project plans including Systems Engineering Management Plan, detailed task definition, resource requirements, schedule, quality, and cost parameters.
- Implements and manages process and tools to identify program issues and risks, assess technical and programmatic impacts, helps formulate mitigation plans, and tracks progress.
- Identifies, monitors and reports KPPs, TPMs, SWAP-C and other system metrics.
- Applies broad knowledge of engineering principles and disciplines, includes customer understanding, product knowledge and specialty technology areas to achieve results.
- Applies systems approach and product life cycle knowledge, resolves conflicts between individual disciplines and conflicting requirements to benefit the total system performance, quality, reliability, and cost.
- Manages requirements including system and subsystem requirements development and analysis, requirements allocation and verification and validation. Ensures the logical and systematic conversion of customer or product requirements into system and subsystem requirements for projects/proposals in all phases of the product life cycle.
- Conceptualizes, creates, and analyzes systems architectures to ensure technical outcomes are consistent with customer and company requirements.
- Conducts trade analyses of concepts, designs, fabrication, test, installation, operation, maintenance, and disposal.
- Establishes and controls inter and intra-system interfaces.
- Ensures that specialty engineering areas including reliability, maintainability, testability, safety, human factors, and information assurance are adequately considered and balanced in design decisions.
- Supports System Integration including design integration, Simulation Emulation Stimulation (SES), HW/SW integration, Regression testing, and Hardware-In-The-Loop (HWIL) testing.
- Supports systems test from development through final acceptance– Verifying that the system meets its requirements, and validating that the system performs in accordance with the customer/user expectations.
- Supports Configuration Management and leads requirements and architecture Change Control Boards (CCBs)
- Prepares, presents, and defends project technical results and recommendations to internal and external customers. Plans, supports, and participates in internal reviews including peer reviews, technical/design reviews, and program reviews. Participates in formal technical reviews with customer.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of Systems Engineering discipline, industry practices, trends, and applications to enhance the organization’s technical capabilities. Advises senior management on new developments and programs. Continuously strives to maintain and enhance the technical reputation of BAE Systems with customers and industry.
Minimum Education and Experience Bachelor’s Degree and 8 years work experience or equivalent experience Required Skills and Education
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant technical discipline plus 8 years relevant experience; or a Master’s degree and 6 years experience; or a Ph.D. and 3 years experience.
- Minimum 2 years experience developing weapon systems including the concept of operations for employing them
- Knowledge of and familiarity with relevant standards and practices for design and production of weapon systems.
- Knowledge and relevant experience applying Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) including experience with Systems Modeling Language (SysML) and MBSE tools such as Magic Draw.
- Working knowledge of specialty engineering disciplines especially safety engineering and reliability engineering.
Preferred Skills and Education · Minimum 5 years experience developing weapon systems including the concept of operations for employing them
- Certified Systems Engineering Professional (CSEP) certification.
- Knowledge and familiarity with relevant standards and practices for design and production precision munitions.
- Familiarity with BAE Systems’ weapon systems such as munitions, Naval guns, Naval launchers and Army artillery.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services Posting BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. With headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, this Platform and Services Group of BAE Systems employs nearly 11,000 professionals at more than 30 locations worldwide. Platform and Services is a global leader in the design, development, production, and service support of armored combat vehicles, major and minor caliber naval guns and missile launchers, canisters, artillery systems, and intelligent munitions. People are the greatest asset in any Company. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression EEO Career Site Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities . females . veterans . individuals with disabilities . sexual orientation . gender identity . gender expression
Back to top