Systems Engineer II
The BAE Systems site in Sterling Heights, Michigan supporting Combat Vehicles is seeking a Systems Engineer. In this role, the Systems Engineer works in a multi-disciplinary team environment performing systems engineering tasks for military vehicle development programs. Responsibilities include requirements development, obsolescence management, Size, Weight, Power, Cooling and Cost (SWaP-CC) management, risk assessments, and trade study documentation.
- Develop component level performance specifications by managing requirements in IBM Rational DOORS database tool (specifications could include mechanical or electronic components such as engine, ventilation fan, turret control box)
- Review drawings, Bill of Materials (BOMs), and different databases to identify critical components for obsolescence management. Engineer will track usage and availability of critical components using obsolescence best practices, and interface with suppliers, internal supply chain, manufacturers, and distributors to identify obsolete parts and alternatives
- Manage Size, Weight, Power, Cooling and Cost (SWaP-CC) for vehicle platforms
- Create requirements traceability in DOORS database
- Work with Integrated Product Teams to understand and document requirements compliance
- Define interfaces between assigned sub-system and components (thermal, signal, data, etc.)
- Support development of architecture using NoMagic Cameo Systems Modeler (MagicDraw)
- Develop System Level Use Cases (e.g. Sequence Diagrams, Statemachines, Activity Diagrams) to derive functional requirements
- Develop trade studies to drive design decisions and document trade study results
- Document concept design decisions and support generating system design concept descriptions and capability assessments
Typically a bachelor degree in related engineering discipline (i.e. Systems, Aerospace, Electrical) with the following experience:
2+ Years' experience with BS, or
0+ Years' experience with MS
Required Skills and Education
- Have knowledge necessary to write requirements specifications (subsystem and component).
- Familiarity with databases, such as DOORS
- Demonstrated ability to work in multi-disciplinary team environment
- Systems thinking skills (i.e., ability to work at detailed level but understand system level implications)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with military vehicle systems is preferred.
- Model based systems engineering experience such as UML, SysML, Rational Harmony, Object-Oriented Systems Engineering Method (OOSEM) experience a plus!
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. With headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, this Platform and Services Group of BAE Systems employs nearly 11,000 professionals at more than 30 locations worldwide. Platform and Services is a global leader in the design, development, production, and service support of armored combat vehicles, major and minor caliber naval guns and missile launchers, canisters, artillery systems, and intelligent munitions. People are the greatest asset in any Company.
BAE Systems is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Vice President, Finance
Chandra helps steer the overall financial direction of BAE Systems’ headquarters. She interacts with many teams to lead mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general maintenance of all the numbers.
Back to top