Systems Engineer - EO/IR Active and/or Passive Sensing
- Austin, TX
See what you're missing. Our employees work on the world's most advanced electronics - from detecting threats for F-35 pilots to illuminating the night for soldiers. Spanning air, land, sea, and space, we are developing the technology of tomorrow, delivered today. Drawing strength from our differences, we're innovating for the future. And you can, too. Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first - exemplified by our mission: "We Protect Those Who Protect Us®." Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with BAE Systems.
BAE Systems is seeking a recognized leader in the field of Active and/or Passive Electro-Optical Systems to join a growing dynamic group of engineers developing leading edge capabilities in Active and Passive Sensing. You will be a technical member of the Optical Systems Engineering Capability Group that is responsible for engineering staff and test resources for the execution of design, development, integration, implementation, test and verification/validation of electro optical solutions across multiple business areas.
As a leader and individual contributor, you will be responsible for and supporting of bringing technologies to bear on next-generation military/commercial applications. You will also perform, delivering technical value, in the role of active and/or passive EO/IR Systems Engineer, Systems Analyst and System Architect for programs ranging from research and development prototypes, EMD units, to full rate production systems. Also as a technical contributor, you will work with other engineering staff members to grow and capture our knowledge through engineering changes, lessons learned and product/process improvements in your area(s) of expertise.
* Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status.
Required Skills and Education
- Hold and active Secret clearance
- Develop information that extends knowledge in the field of active and/or passive sensing in the EO domain. Apply this knowledge to the development of advanced concepts, techniques, products, processes or standards in active and/or passive EO sensing.
- Act as a technical contributor to support program & products, technical team-mates and management as well as to customers in making key technology trade-off decisions.
- Work with other experienced technical specialists in the EO domain, supporting team growth.
- BS in EE, Physics, Optics, Systems or equivalent with 8+ years of experience working with active and/or passive electro-optical systems; or MS in EE, Physics, Optics, Systems, or equivalent with 7+ years of experience; or PhD in ME, EE, Physics, Optics, or equivalent with 6+ years of experience.
- Working knowledge of: LADAR/LiDAR, Laser, DTV, EO, I2, CCTV, LLCCTV and/or other active sensing or illuminated theory, techniques, components, and systems across the electro optical spectrum from UV to LWIR; laser characteristics, atmospheric transmission and modeling; conduct of complex trade studies involving sensors, optical designs, link budgets, make/buy decisions, SwaP-C, and environmental constraints; including performance testing of EO components, sub-systems, and complete systems.
- Working knowledge of: SWIR, cooled MWIR and/or cooled/uncooled LWIR and/or other passive sensing theory, techniques, components, and systems across the electro optical spectrum from NIR to LWIR; atmospheric transmission and modeling; conduct of complex trade studies involving sensors, optical designs, link budgets, make/buy decisions, SwaP-C, and environmental constraints; including performance testing of EO components, sub-systems, and complete systems.
- Working knowledge of requirements analysis and trade-off study for active and passive sensing EO/IR designs and effectively/efficiently converting stakeholder definition to architectural design.
- Working knowledge of Systems Engineering and life cycle processes stages (such as waterfall, spiral, agile/scrum, Vee) and process milestone execution decision gating reviews.
- Experience working independently with limited supervision and interacting effectively with other technical team-mates to achieve product and process technical goals.
- Architect, develop Concept of Operations (ConOps) and requirements, design, model, analyze, and test electro-optical (EO) infrared (IR) systems, subsystems and components (including COTS items) used in a variety of active and passive sensing solutions to military/commercial applications.
- INCOSE CSEP Systems Engineering process, language and nomenclature preferred.
- Experience supporting inter and multi-disciplinary teams consisting of mechanical, electrical, optical, software, and systems engineers.
- Hold an active Secret or Top Secret clearance
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Back to top