Systems Engineer (Aircraft)
The selected applicant for this position will provide a well rounded System Engineering approach in the design, development, and integration of avionics systems.
1. Coordinates and manages the engineering activities on the assigned program to comply with cost, schedule and technical requirements and established engineering practices in order to meet program commitments.
2. Serves as the engineering focal point for the program to include integrated plans, issues reporting, risk management, and other prominent activity.
3. Coordinates the engineering cost, schedule and technical inputs to support a competitive and executable proposal and obtains the appropriate approvals through engineering management.
4. Interfaces with managers, engineering cost account managers, design teams and functional engineering organizations to obtain agreement on allocated requirements, to resolve/clarify/revise system level requirements issues and ambiguities in configuration item design during the program development phase.
5. Develops the program specific engineering plans by integrating all associated functional input. Ensures that the engineering staff adheres to the approved plans by attending program control meetings, design reviews and by auditing processes, reviewing status and communicating regularly with the cost account managers.
6. Reviews all technical changes to requirements from the program office. Coordinates the analysis of the impact of technical changes to schedule/budget and ensures implementation and consistent design integrity.
7. Reviews and monitors metrics on the program and provides technical support to the program manager.
8. Interfaces with functional engineering organizations to ensure programs are adequately staffed and executed. Approves cost account manager assignments for the program.
9. Manages engineering risk and abatement actions in cooperation with the assigned system engineering manager.
10. Identifies and coordinates the necessary equipment and facility resources required to successfully execute the program.
11. Mentors cost account managers and may provide input to performance appraisals for engineers on the assigned program.
12. Performs other duties and responsibilities as required.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 6 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Systems Engineering
Minimum of 6 years of experience to include the following:
In-depth knowledge of avionics and aircraft integration
Advanced knowledge of engineering principles and practices in area of expertise.
In-depth skills using current computer applications and technologies in applicable engineering disciplines.
Ability to identify, define, interpret, and resolve engineering problems involving conflicting design/contractual/policy or technical requirements across functional areas and with difficult coordination requirements.
Ability to prepare technical reports, papers, and presentations and deliver them in written and oral form to customers, industry leaders, and senior management.
Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
Strong communication skills - verbal and written. Able to effectively communicate design implementation at all levels of the project organization and between all software development teams.
Ability to travel both domestically and internationally.
Must be eligible to obtain and maintain a secret clearance
Preferred Skills and Education
Multilingual a plus
Master's Degree in Systems Engineering or a Technical Discipline with an emphasis on Systems or Software Engineering
Experience and knowledge in relevant customer domains and mission areas. (US DOD, Aircraft OEMs, International governments / air forces)
Knowledge of and experience with the progression of opportunities through a phased process and the reviews and metrics associated with assessing progress throughout that cycle.
Experience in cross functional, cross discipline IPT development environments
Active Secret Clearance
About BAE Systems Intelligence & Security
BAE Systems Intelligence & Security, based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do-from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels. That's BAE Systems. That's Inspired Work. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression. To see Inspired Work in action, visit www.baesystems.com and follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/baesystemsintel.
Back to top