Systems / Computer Engineer
Systems / Computer Engineer
Chantilly VA 20150
This position is supporting a federal customer and requires U.S. Citizenship and an active high level security clearance. Must be eligible for clearance upgrade and able to take/pass a polygraph.
Do you thrive in a position with a wide scope of systems engineering and systems administration duties supporting a highly professional national security mission centric team? If so, this is a position for you.
Work involves systems administration for server operations, database management, and network maintenance. Server operations includes hardware installation and management, virtualization, operating systems and utilities configuration and tuning in a Linux and Windows platform environments. This position is responsible for configuration, patch management, version and sub-version upgrades, and all aspects of the availability of servers. Also acts as Tier 2 response in operations environment where resolution cannot be handled by on-site Tier 1 staff. This position also acquires, installs, and maintains local area networks. Manages local area network performance and troubleshoots problems. Ensures that security procedures are implemented and enforced. Establishes and implements local area network policies, procedures and standards. Maintains distributed processing databases on the local area network. Trains users on local area network operation and use.
The systems engineering role participates in studying vendor products to determine those which best meet user needs and presents information to management for acquisition approval.
The challenge and rewards of the positions are in providing expertise and guidance in the design, implementation, operation and maintenance of database management systems (DBMS), particularly existing NoSQL databases such as MongoDB and/or Elasticsearch. The candidate will design, implement, and maintain complex databases with respect to SQL, NoSQL, access methods, access time, device allocation, validation checks, organization, protection and security, documentation, and statistical methods. Evaluates and recommends available DBMS products after matching requirements with system capabilities. Defines required database administration policies, procedures, standards, and guidelines. Prepares and delivers presentations on DBMS concepts.
Typical Education & Experience
4+ years of related work experience
Preferred Education: Bachelor's Degree in one of the following areas: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer and Information Security, Computer Security, and/or Network Administration from an accredited university/
Required Skills and Education
Qualified candidates will have the following:
- US Citizenship
- Current Top Secret security clearance with eligibility for TS/SCI upgrade. Must be able to take/pass a CI polygraph
- A minimum of four (4) years of experience in systems engineering and administration
- Experience in all three areas of development, integration and production environments
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve network problems
- Ability to administer system security and perform security checks
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of a broad range of computing technologies and providing innovative solutions to complex problems
- Must demonstrate oral communication and written skills
- Ability to understand functional and technical specifications for new products
- Work well under pressure, can meet tight deadlines and is committed to work as and when required to complete projects
- Stay current with newest technologies
- Assist in evaluating and maintaining present and future hardware and software needs
- Install, configure and maintain internal networks, file servers, application servers, and workstations
- In-depth Puppet experience for both code deployment and system building and configuration
- Administer and configure Puppet, Jenkins, and other configuration management and deployment frameworks
- Administer and configure VMWare vSphere and vCenter and other virtualization technologies
- Administer and configure Amazon Web Services (AWS) technologies Elastic Comput Cloud (EC2), Elastic Load Balancer (ELB), and Relational Database Service (RDS)
- Administering and configuring Nginx and other web servers
- Administering and configuring HAProxy and other proxy servers
- Administer and configure MongoDB, Elasticsearch, and other NoSQL data stores
- Administer and configure GridFS and other distributed file systems
- Administer web services (Preferred: RESTful and Apache Thrift)
- Administer Python Celery, RabbitMQ, and other distributed messaging and task queue technologies
- Administer and deploy custom Python Django applications and other web applications
- Administer and configure MySQL and other relational database management systems (RDBMS)
- Monitor and verify availability of existing systems (Preferred: Nagios or comparable technology)
- Administer and configure NAS and SAN storage
- Administer and configure Windows Server and Desktop and Linux (Preferred: Fedora) server and desktop operating systems
- Administer PKI infrastructure, to include both server and client certificates
- Administer and configure DNS server Linux infrastructure with DNSSEC
- Administer and configure PXE bootstraps
- Linux shell scripting (sh, ksh, or bash)
- Distributed batch and stream processing
- Strong verbal and written communications skills are essential. Ability to work with a diverse team of professionals in a high paced environment.
The following are preferred or desired skills:
- MongoDB schema design and optimization
- Windows PowerShell scripting
- Elasticsearch schema design and optimization
- Administer and configure blade server technology
- Administer and configure Cisco network devices
- Administer and configure Atlassian Jira and Bitbucket
- Administer and configure Cuckoo Sandbox and OPSWAT Metascan servers
- Administer and configure macOS operating systems
- Creates and maintains the infrastructure, including continuous integration, automated builds and deployment, and automated end-to-end testing.
- Creates tools, platforms, and environments for demos, product testing, and software releases.
- Creates products, utilities, scripts, and tools to automate builds, deployment, and testing.
- Builds and maintains development and testing environments and production-equivalent staging environments.
- Troubleshoots operational tests, releases, software defects, and other issues.
About BAE Systems Intelligence & Security
BAE Systems Intelligence & Security, based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do-from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels. That's BAE Systems. That's Inspired Work. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression. To see Inspired Work in action, visit www.baesystems.com and follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/baesystemsintel.
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Vice President, Finance
Chandra helps steer the overall financial direction of BAE Systems’ headquarters. She interacts with many teams to lead mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general maintenance of all the numbers.
Back to top