Supplier Development / Sourcing Engineer
- The Supplier Development / Sourcing Engineer is responsible for developing supply chain / commodity strategies targeted to improve supplier performance to achieve business and operational objectives and managing supplier relationship to ensure on time delivery of products that meet BAE System's expectation for quality, delivery and cost.
- Will develop / support / execute sourcing strategies based on existing and forecasted spend, demand and supply challenges, and marketplace conditions, ensuring alignment with the Business Area objectives. This activity will also be done in concert with Sector level commodity and supplier engagement initiatives and as a participating member of the Sector level Commodity team
- Will lead and/or participate on cross-functional teams to ensure that BAE is leveraging spend, driving best value and improving overall supplier performance management to achieve established Achieving Operational Excellence & Zero Defect goals.
- Be a primary point of contact to facilitate engagement with our with our Engineering to support new Product design, IRAD and technical refresh activities to enhance collaboration early in the design process, increase design for manufacturability, support technical roadmaps and the formulate sourcing strategies to support the product through itself full life cycle.
- Collaborate with the Procurement team and support Business Area teams on assigned commodities across all aspects of supplier management on mechanical fabricated & custom designed components and assemblies, as required.
- Execute responsibilities following established and approved procurement policies and procedures in order to provide the lowest cost consistent with quality and service requirements while maintaining good supplier relations. Responsible for Procurement Compliance, Cost/Price Analysis and adherence to the Small Business Program guidelines.
- Improve quality, delivery & cost performance of suppliers through well thought out fact based improvement plans. Manage supplier improvement plans
- Conducting workshops (Kaizen events) at supplier locations, providing technical assistance or other support as required
- Provide leadership during investigations of major problems and or special projects focusing on developing strong partnerships with suppliers.
- Lead suppliers through the corrective action process when supplier rejects are issued.
- Function as liaison between engineering, manufacturing and suppliers to resolve supplier performance issues and to provide technical support
- Analyze supplier quality & delivery metrics to identify trends and pinpoint systemic performance gaps and root causes
- Collaborate with teams, lead projects, and continuously drive improvement in the supply base
- Source parts matched with supplier competencies
- Implement and monitor production part approval process with selected suppliers
- Assure supplier understanding of product and submission requirements
- Develop and approve process controls to control critical characteristics
- Recommend technical product improvements to reduce risk and potential defect opportunities
- Support for the preparation and maintenance of inspection plans
- Review and assess supplier manufacturing processes and quality systems. Provide feedback as appropriate on manufacturing methods and technologies. Demonstrate innovation, technical excellence, attention to detail, self-direction, & courage
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 6 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering field from an accredited university
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with manufacturing processes related to machined components/structures, or machining processes, printed wiring boards, cables and similar technologies.
Preferred Skills and Experiences:
- Experience with manufacturing and inspection of raw materials, machined parts, fabricated components, or electrical assemblies
- Experience with quality management systems standards (AS9100 and ISO 9001)
- Demonstrated knowledge of production / manufacturing improvement processes i.e. PPAP, APQP...
- Technical capabilities including knowledge of 2D blueprints and model drawings
- Disciplined approach to problem solving
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications and report writing
- Knowledge of lean concepts
- Experience with sharing information and influencing others (strong written and verbal communication skills, able to liaise cross functionally, internally and externally, make presentations to team members and management)
- Knowledge of statistical techniques and methods (like design of experiments, Six Sigma, etc.)
- Experience with MRP or ERP systems
- Ability to travel - up to 50% work week travel is required
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top