Steel Journeymen Welder
Steel Welder Journeyman
Accomplish production welding aboard ship vessels and Fabrication shop. Components to weld include but are not limited to structural parts, deck plates, bulkheads and foundations using Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW), Flux-Cored Arc Welding (FCAW) processes.
Must be able to work within a team-based environment to accomplish all aspects of welding and fabrication.
Candidates may be required to travel to different BAE Systems sites or Naval Bases.
We will be hiring for multiple journeyman step levels within this requisition.
Required Skills and Education
• Minimum 2 years shipyard environment Journeyman level experience welding skills.
• Must be able to obtain DBIDS credential/Government clearance to enter NAVSTA and Navy Vessels.
• Ability to accomplish welding processes in shop and shipboard environments.
• Must be able to use hand tools and power tools safely and efficiently.
• Must be able to pass a hands-on welding practical test on SMAW, FCAW by way of x-ray NDT within no more than two attempts.
Welding test will consist of full penetration butt weld test plates in three positions each; overhead (4G), vertical (3G) and horizontal position (2G).
Full penetration welds 2G and 3G with ceramic backing, 4G with permanent backing.
• Must have own basic welder tool kit.
• Must be able to understand, read and interpret welding symbols based on the requirements of Military Standard 22-D.
• Good communication skills and good interpersonal skills.
• Must be able to work a variety of shifts (1st shift 6:00am to 2:30pm, 2nd shift 3:00 to 11:00)
• Basic reading, writing and math skills.
• Must be physically capable of performing the essential functions of the position.
• Must be able to work at heights, in confined spaces and have the ability to climb staircases and ladders of varying sizes.
• Must be able to carry personal tool bag weighing anywhere from 20-30 lbs.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. Platforms & Services designs, develops, produces, supports, maintains, modernizes and upgrades armored combat vehicles, wheeled vehicles, naval guns, surface ship combatants, commercial vessels, missile launchers, artillery systems, military ordnance, and protective wear and armor. Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Vice President, Finance
Chandra helps steer the overall financial direction of BAE Systems’ headquarters. She interacts with many teams to lead mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general maintenance of all the numbers.
Back to top