Sr. Principal Mechanical Hardware Design Engineer
BAE Systems is seeking a proactive Sr. Principal Mechanical Engineer with diverse analytical capabilities and demonstrated technical expertise. This individual will provide leadership and support to the design, development, integration/test, and production of dynamic optomechanical military systems. The engineer will work closely with hardware integrated into a variety of complex IR technology products including lasers, receivers, sensors, as well as multi-axis beam directors/gimbals. The individual must be a self-starter and is desired to have development experience working with integrated military electronic hardware and related test equipment.
The selected candidate will execute both individually and in small to large, yet diverse, team environments through all phases of the product life cycle. This includes concept development, detail design, qualification, manufacturing transition, and production support. The engineer will be responsible for developing innovative and robust hardware solutions to meet demanding customer requirements, and will leverage their mechanical engineering expertise to perform detailed design and analyses. Day to day, activities may include working with 3D solid models, drawings, and documentation utilizing GD&T principles; performing analyses to assure fit & function; performing thermal, structural/stress, and vibration analyses; assessing designs against environmental requirements; as well as conducting test and verification efforts.
With a product focus, the individual will actively partner with other engineering disciplines and operations personnel to develop solutions that adhere to UPC, DFT, and DFM requirements. Additionally, the engineer will support resolution of technical issues that are discovered during manufacture and test of deliverable hardware. This may include evaluating and troubleshooting mechanical faults and issues, assessing test failures for root cause, identifying disposition/corrective actions, as well as designing test equipment to ensure the performance and integrity of manufactured products.
This engineering role will provide rewarding challenges and exposure to diverse experiences including:
- Design and development of IR technology hardware and systems
- Optomechanical design & analysis
- Design and development of motion systems including motors, encoders, bearings, seals
- Product/Factory Support of DoD military electronics/avionics equipment
- State-of-the-art mechanical engineering design and development tools
- Design and analysis of multilayer CCAs
- Prototype & test activities utilizing a fully equipped environmental test facility
- "Hands-on" laboratory experience with instrumentation, equipment, and processes
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 8 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering and 10+ years' experience
- Demonstrated experience in Product development and support of DoD military electronics equipment
- Leadership of HW engineering teams in the design & development of military systems
- Working experience with lasers, receivers, fiber optics, and/or related IR technologies
- Solid fundamentals of mechanical design, analysis, and documentation principles
- Experience with state-of-the-art mechanical engineering development software tools
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including development of engineering documentation and presentations
- Motivated self-starter and problem solver with proven experience executing in diverse multi-disciplinary teams
- Strong computer skills in basic MS office and technical programs
- Knowledge of engineering development processes
- Eligible to obtain a DOD Security Clearance
- Knowledge/experience with optomechanical designs & developments
- Knowledge of MIL specs & standards, industry standards including ASTM, SAE, DO
- Experience in the design/development of active motion controlled hardware
- Experience in the design and manufacture of electronic circuit card assemblies
- ANSYS Workbench/Mechanical, PTC Creo, MATLAB/Simulink, Siemens NX, ANSYS Icepak
- Knowledge of design for manufacturing (DFM) principles
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Vice President, Finance
Chandra helps steer the overall financial direction of BAE Systems’ headquarters. She interacts with many teams to lead mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general maintenance of all the numbers.
Back to top