Sr. Prin. Optical Engineer I
Optical engineering lead on a multi-disciplinary design team with focus in optics for multi-million dollar imaging and laser applications. Work includes developing concepts and solutions for optical systems that meet Department of Defense customer requirements. Primary product applications include airborne electro-optic imaging and reconnaissance systems. This is an opportunity to contribute in developing cutting edge technology.
Required Skills and Education 1. Ability to apply optical engineering principles to formulate new concepts and solutions for airborne reconnaissance and remote sensing applications for use in harsh environmental conditions.
2. Well versed in geometrical optics, physical optics, interferometry, optical testing, and optical alignment techniques. Specific experience in imaging, holography or speckle interferometry is highly desirable.
3. Experience in modeling optical systems, performing system optimization, tolerance and performance analysis.
4. Ability to perform ray traces, tolerance analysis, optical system performance optimization, performing optical assembly, alignment, and characterization tasks for manufacturing methods and error budget allocation.
5. Proficiency with Zemax or CodeV optical design tools.
6. Engineering responsibility for assigned projects in an IPT environment for precision optical design, analysis, and simulation.
7. Familiarity with optical materials and detectors used in the infrared and visible spectral ranges.
8. Ability to independently analyze and evaluate a design concept. To produce realistic assessment of risks and to develop strategies for mitigating major risks to the projects.
9. Willingness and ability to perform “hands-on” technical work in laboratory and field environments involving electro-optical metrology, optical alignment, system testing, data collection and analysis.
10. Formed previous partnerships with teams and associates, closely working with industry leaders in optical engineering.
11. Demonstrated leadership roles in project engineering, technical and collaborative team environments.
12.Strong skills in oral and written communication and the ability to present technical subjects clearly in team meetings and project reviews. Ability to explain key system concepts and testing protocols to other engineers and technicians with optical, mechanical, electronics.
Preferred Skills and Education M.S.or PhD. in Optical Engineering, or equivalent with 5+ years experience or B.S.degree in Optical Engineering, or equivalent with 10+ years of experience.
Experience with MatLab for numerical simulations and data/image processing and analysis highly desired.
Experience with high power lasers a plus.
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression EEO Career Site Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities . females . veterans . individuals with disabilities . sexual orientation . gender identity . gender expression
Back to top