Sr Mechanical Engineer : Hydraulic / Fluid Power
BAE Systems is seeking a Senior Hydraulic / Fluid Power Mechanical Engineer for its Combat Vehicles business unit located in York, Pennsylvania. The Engineer will be tasked to research, plan, design, analyze, test, and develop hydraulic/fluid power subsystems and mechanical products and power systems.
- Analyze and interpret design specifications, drawings, documentation, models, and/or test results to ensure technical designs comply with applicable engineering standards, military specifications and product requirements;
- Develop and upgrade subsystem level designs (hydraulic/fluid power and mechanical) to include concept development and analysis;
- Resolve design issues identified during test and transition to production.
- Plan and execute verification and validation activities and prepare corresponding documentation to support design compliance to requirements;
- Analyze hydraulic/fluid and mechanical power systems for measurement, production, and transmission of energy, including appropriate fluid conditioning considerations;
- Conduct troubleshooting to resolve production and field-related hydraulic issues;
- Use advanced modeling and analysis tools to develop product specifications, models, technical data packages, and integration and verification procedures;
- Conduct and support subsystem and system integration and verification activities, and manufacturing planning.
- Ensure technical outcomes are consistent with established engineering principles and practices and that customer and company technical, system, performance, and quality requirements are met.
- Develop and write technical documentation, makes revisions to existing documentation, and provide input to technical papers or presentations;
- Prepare producible/production level Technical Data Package (TDP);
- Track schedule and budget.
- Prepare and deliver technical presentations on project results, progress, recommendations, and solutions to internal and external customers;
- Provide input and status to project leaders on technical content, cost, schedule, and workload requirements;
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with both internal and external customers to resolve complex technical problems and implement solutions;
- Provide technical review and guidance to other engineers in area of expertise;
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of relevant engineering discipline(s), industry practices, trends, and applications. Advise management on new development and programs;
- Always maintains a safe work environment and ensures compliance with safety objectives and policies and rules.
Typically a Bachelor's Degree in an engineering discipline and four (4) years work experience or the overall equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Proficiency in complex design development and integration of hydraulic / fluid power and mechanical subsystems used on mobile equipment and military ground combat / engineering systems. Examples include hydraulically powered ramp actuation subsystems, engine cooling systems, crane/winch systems, turret traverse and weapon elevation subsystems, material handling systems, etc.
- Experience in design of mobile fluid power subsystems (inclusive of selection, analysis and integration of pumps, motors, hydraulic fluids, control systems, fluid conditioning, etc.)
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers to solve complex technical problems
- Ability to work cooperatively in team environment to effectively synthesize inputs from multiple parties, yielding resolution to test and design issues
- Clear and effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to prepare technical reports, papers, and presentations
- Ability to create, read and interpret hydraulic schematics
- Multi-disciplinary design and integration experience, with relevant applications in a ground combat, amphibious, construction, agricultural or engineering vehicle development environment
- Component/Subsystem/System design and integration experience in hydraulic/fluid power and mechanical subsystems
- Working knowledge of hydraulic control systems, open and closed circuits, hydrostatic drives and characteristics of various types of hydraulic fluids
- Proven customer interface skills, with ability to influence suppliers and internal customers in technical matters
- Experience providing engineering support in prototype and transition-to-production
- Working knowledge of PTC CREO, engineering drawing practices ASME Y14.100, and geometric tolerancing (ASME Y14.5 2009)
- Familiarity with relevant military specifications and commercial design standards
Defense industry experience a plus.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. With headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, this Platform and Services Group of BAE Systems employs nearly 11,000 professionals at more than 30 locations worldwide. Platform and Services is a global leader in the design, development, production, and service support of armored combat vehicles, major and minor caliber naval guns and missile launchers, canisters, artillery systems, and intelligent munitions. People are the greatest asset in any Company.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Vice President, Finance
Chandra helps steer the overall financial direction of BAE Systems’ headquarters. She interacts with many teams to lead mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general maintenance of all the numbers.
Back to top