Spray Painter (Union/Hourly/2nd)
- York, PA
BAE Systems in York, Pennsylvania is seeking to fill a Painter. Will support on 2nd Shift (2:00 pm-10:30). Please note that the hourly workforce is union represented.
Cleans and performs surface preparation to parts prior to paint, loads and unloads paint conveyor lines. Spray paints various assemblies, vehicles, subassemblies, parts and miscellaneous plant equipment and fixtures according to commercial and government specifications.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
Various spray painting tools and equipment such as pressure pots, spray guns, hoses, nozzles, gauges, cup guns, conveyor line, paint gun cleaner unit, cables, chains, templates, water walls, protective spray painting equipment, paint shakers, paint proportioner, burn-off oven, confined space monitor, high-lifts, mobile tractors and personal computers or other data entry or acquisition devices. Various hand tools (i.e. wrenches, pliers, hammers.)
Government and customer furnished, purchased and plant produced parts/ sub-assembies/ assemblies and assembled vehicles. Paints, thinners, primers, sealant, anti-skid materials and various chemicals (i.e. NSS, since phosphate, etc.)
SOURCE OF SUPERVISION
Process Supervisor, Assistant Process Supervisor or may be directed by Lead Person or Self-Directed Work Team.
• Receives instructions and work orders from Process Supervisor, Assistant. Process Supervisor, Lead Person or Self-Directed Work Team.
• Handles material and/or machinery to and from proper locations, using jib or overhead cranes or other material handling equipment, as required.
• Refers to appropriate documents or devices (i.e. data collection device, packing list, bill of lading, part lists and drawings).
• Issues, expedites, inventories, receives, counts, stores, checks and properly identifies materials to assure continuity of operations.
• Completes and/or files documents (i.e. move tickets, shortage reports, unplanned issues). Uses personal computer or other data collection devices to check or record data as required.
• Checks and documents operating condition of material handling equipment as required. Fills powered mobile equipment with appropriate fluids (i.e. gas, water and oil) as required.
• Prior to transporting, removes snow from material and protects material in inclement weather when required.
• Personal computers and/or other data acquisition devices as required.
• Performs, checks and/or adjustments to process inputs (i.e. materials/equipment as required to ensure product quality requirements are met.
• Performs identification, documentation, and segregation of discrepant materials, as outlined by the appropriate procedures.
• As assigned, performs independent verification of product and/or processes.
• Reports damaged tools, equipment and materials to appropriate supervisor.
• Refers to drawings, sketches, manuals, books, charts and process sheets.
• Loads and unloads parts on conveyor for the purpose of cleaning or preparing for painting.
• Keeps work area safe and clean.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
2 Years of experience or equivalent training required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
- Experience with heavy manufacturing industrial coatings
- Knowledge of CARC (Chemical Agent Resistant Coating) painting is beneficial
- Willing to safely handling solvents and chemicals
- Ability to adjust paint guns and systems quickly and efficiently (adjustments/troubleshoot)
- Experience blending paint
- Ability to read a wet Film Thickness Gage
- Attentiveness to identifying paint defects and correct them
- Willing to read, comprehend and follow the work instructions
- Experience cleaning paint equipment
- Ability to read and interpret product data sheets
- Possess sufficient comfort level to work in confined spaces
- Ability to work at various heights
- Experience driving vehicles
- Ability to climb in and out of structures/vehicles
- Physical ability to pass a Pulmonary Function test as this is required for the job.
- Hands-on manufacturing/fabrication experience desired.
- NESHAP certification would be preferred.
- Defense industry work a plus.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair...just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Back to top