Space Systems Chief Engineer
BAE Systems is seeking a Space Systems Chief Engineer to support multiple fast-paced, strategic programs across our Space Systems product line. The Chief Engineer will have expert knowledge of space electronics payloads, systems, and missions. The successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring the technical integrity of mission concepts, approaches, and analyses, at all levels of the system throughout the product lifecycle. This includes architecture development, requirements analysis, concepts of operation, interfaces, hardware design, software design, acquisition, integration, validation, and verification.
The successful candidate will work with engineering, manufacturing, and technical management, to deliver high-performance systems and payloads within cost and schedule constraints. The Chief Engineer will also work with engineering leadership, program management, and business development to provide input and engineering insight into next-generation technologies and architectures, in support of the business strategy and roadmap.
BAE Systems is seeking experienced engineering professionals to join our established and rapidly expanding Space Systems Product Line. We are a premier provider of advanced high-reliability space electronics, boxes, sensors and subsystems with products that have enabled a wide variety of civil, commercial, and national security space missions for more than 25 years. Our development of advanced processing solutions enable our customers to deliver new mission capabilities to address evolving challenges and threats across critical communication, navigation, surveillance and tracking, planetary exploration, weather and classified missions. Apply now to join an industry leading team dedicated to designing and building innovative space solutions.
• Apply heuristic and functional decomposition techniques to scope the design and development of new architectures.
• Provide engineering expertise for RF or EO/IR payload missions
• Work closely with systems and design engineers to rapidly assess conceptual designs, develop solutions, and establish system requirements and performance parameters.
• Develop concepts of operations for space systems which clearly describe system function and employment without overspecification
• Document system-level architecture, such as states and modes, functional block diagrams, and data flows.
• Craft system budgets and technical performance metrics to track key requirements compliance throughout the program lifecycle.
• Perform resource analysis, trajectory and mission design, and element sizing.
• Contribute to subsystem architecture definition through identification and sizing of components and proposing advanced technology pursuits.
• Develop major system level interfaces, system requirements, and verification as documented in specifications, ICDs, and verification plans.
• Develop system-level Master Equipment List and time-phased operational resource utilization.
• Perform system-level Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality Analyses (FMECA).
• Perform risk management, risk identification, and risk mitigation.
• Communicate results to program management and customers.
• Maintain and report schedule, budget, and technical status.
• Mentor and technically assist other engineers.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 10 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Bachelors degree and at least 10 years of related experience
- Top Secret clearance required with SCI eligible
- Experience conducting mission development or analysis for next-generation space systems or payloads
- RF or EO/IR Payload Systems architecture knowledge and integrated payload design expertise
- RF Geolocation techniques, end-to-end performance analyses, mission signal environments, Radar/comms
- RF Payload architectures and design of antennas/RF, IF, analog and digital
- EO/IR architectures including Lasercom, tracking, hyperspectral and/or multispectral systems
- EO/IR systems expertise including infrared systems, radiometric analyses, performance calibration methods and measurements
- Experience with the full systems engineering life-cycle to include requirements definition, architecture, detailed design, test, deployment, and training
- Experience defining component-, subsystem-, and system-level requirements
- Experience crafting technical strategies, approaches, or architectures supporting business development and program growth efforts
- Experience in assuming responsibilities outside the scope of defined tasking
- Experience building positive customer relationships
- Experience working in multi-functional teams
Preferred Skills and Education
- Working experience with Systems Markup Language and Model-Based Systems Engineering tools
- Experience with US government customer programs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment
- Demonstrated ability as a team player to build consensus among peers and build effective relationships with team members
- Effectively manage change
- Electrical, mechanical, RF engineering, or mathematics background
- Active SCI clearance
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Vice President, Finance
Chandra helps steer the overall financial direction of BAE Systems’ headquarters. She interacts with many teams to lead mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general maintenance of all the numbers.
Back to top