Solventless Propellant Engineer - Mechanical / Chemical
BAE Systems, one of the world’s leading defense contractors and a stable Fortune 500 Company, is hiring a Senior Mechanical or Chemical Engineer at the Radford Army Ammunition Plant. The individual selected will be responsible for engineering and technical tasks for various rocket and gun propellant production programs. This work includes planning, analysis, design, and engineering inputs for improvement projects and maintenance of existing production equipment which includes providing oversight during the actual field application.
The position requires a high degree of technical competence regarding the broad application of mechanical engineering principles to the development of new capabilities and/or solutions to customers’ challenging needs.
Performs one or more of the following mechanical engineering functions:
- Work with multi-discipline engineering team to perform plant and project engineering.
- Select construction materials and methods; write specifications; supervise and prepare mechanical drawings; control cost; and manage work to meet project schedules.
- Perform mechanical engineering analyses for: piping systems; hydraulic systems: pumping systems; HVAC systems; machinery design and layout; process cooling and heating systems; storage tank design, inspection and repair.
- Conduct inspections of existing facilities such as buildings, equipment, and pipelines to determine the integrity and safety.
- Make recommendations concerning any needed modifications.
- Develop plans and schedules for the construction phase of projects ensuring that materials, equipment, and personnel will be available to meet project schedules.
- Ensure that work is performed in accordance with plans, specifications, and good construction practices and within cost during the execution phase.
- Maximize equipment up-time for existing rocket and gun propellant production lines
- Implement improvements to minimize down-time and improve product quality.
- Consider safety in all aspects of work and design.
BAE Systems helps protect those who protect us. At our R&D and manufacturing facility at the Radford Army Ammunition Plant in Radford, VA, we do this by developing safer energetic materials for our government and commercial customers. RFAAP has provided high quality explosives for our soldiers since WWII and will continue to push the frontier of energetic material synthesis and manufacturing with your help. Learn more about this area of our business at www.baesystems.com/OSIjobs. Minimum Education and Experience Bachelor’s Degree and 2 years work experience or equivalent experience Required Skills and Education
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Chemical Engineering and Two (2)+ years related experience
- A high degree of technical competence regarding the broad application of mechanical engineering principles to the development of new capabilities and/or solutions to customers’ challenging modernization problems.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated with ability to work in a team environment with a high level of attention to detail
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to develop design packages using CADD, detailed program plans, estimates, and proposals
- Ability to direct design teams and external design firms
- Review and approve design packages from equipment suppliers and design firms
- Capable of creating required engineering documentation using Microsoft Office Suite products including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Project, and Access Preferred Skills and Education
- PE License
- Experience in industrial construction
- Energetics materials experience
- P&ID development
- 3D design / modeling using SolidWorks
- Vessel Design / Construction
- Pumps / Piping Design
- Finite Element Analysis and Computational Fluid Dynamics About BAE Systems Platforms & Services Posting BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. With headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, this Platform and Services Group of BAE Systems employs nearly 11,000 professionals at more than 30 locations worldwide. Platform and Services is a global leader in the design, development, production, and service support of armored combat vehicles, major and minor caliber naval guns and missile launchers, canisters, artillery systems, and intelligent munitions. People are the greatest asset in any Company. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression EEO Career Site Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities . females . veterans . individuals with disabilities . sexual orientation . gender identity . gender expression
Back to top