Join BAE Systems' Intelligence and Security sector and be a part of a team who solves some of the world's most complex technical challenges. We are looking for a Software Engineer to join a mission critical program within the intelligence community.
In this role you will:
• Analyze user requirements to derive software design and performance requirements.
• Debug existing software and correct defects.
• Design and code new software or modify existing software to add new features.
• Write or review software and system documentation.
• Integrate existing software into new or modified systems or operating environments.
• Develop simple data queries for existing or proposed databases or data repositories.
• Has experience with agile development processes.
• Has experience with source code control systems, such as Git.
• Serve as team lead at the level appropriate to the software development process being used on any particular project.
• Design and development of relational and non-relational database applications.
• Use of orchestration frameworks such as Spring and Kafka.
• Familiarization with queue management systems
• Develop or implement algorithms to meet or exceed system performance and functional standards.
• Develop and execute test procedures for software components.
• Develop software solutions by analyzing system performnance standards and conferring with users or system engineers; analyzing systems flow, data usage and work processes; and investigating problem areas.
• Modify existing software to adapt to new hardware or to improve its performance
• Design, develop, and modify software systems using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcomes and consequences of design decisions
• Java development using the Eclipse IDE (Integrated Development Environment).
• Development of Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE) applications
• Experience using collaboration and software development tools (ie. Atlassian).
• Software development using continuous integration practices
• Experience with container technologies (ie. Docker).
• Unix shell scripting
• Development of event driven or data driven analytics
• Development of cloud-based solutions and technologies.
• Design or implement complex algorithms requiring adherence to strict timing, system resource, or interface constraints. Perform quality control on team products.
• Recommend and implement suggestions for improving documentation and software development process standards.
• Oversee one or more software development teams and ensure the work is completed in accordance with the constraints of the software development process being used on any particular project.
• Confer with system engineers and hardware engineers to derive software requirements and to obtain information on project limitations and capabilities, performance requirements, and interfaces.
• Coordinate software installation on a system and monitor performance to ensure operational specifications are met.
Who You Are:
•Energized when faced with complex technical challenges and diligently work to identify creative solutions.
•Ability to perform high quality work, both independently and with a team, in a fast-moving environment.
•Ability to plan and prioritize tasks to successfully meet/exceed customer expectations.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
• Experience using the Unix command line
• Experience writing scripts using Bash/Python
• General HPC technical knowledge regarding compute, network, memory, and storage system components
• Experience with IaC (Infrastructure as Code) concepts, principles and automation tools such as Ansible, SaltStack, and Puppet
• Experience with Elastic Stack (Logstash, Kibana, Elasicsearch, Beats)
• In-depth experience trouble-shooting large Unix Clusters
• Demonstrated experience using system monitoring tools such as Prometheus/Grafana
• Experience with containerization technologies such as Docker
• Experience with container orchestration technologies such as Kubernetes
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
• Experience with distributed file systems such as GPFS and HDFS
• Experience with the Atlassian Tool Suite (JIRA, Confluence, Bitbucket)
• Experience with CI/CD principals and concepts using tools such as Jenkins, GitLab CI, and Bamboo
• Familiar with Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) principles and applications
About BAE Systems Intelligence & Security
BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it's what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts - defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team-making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you'll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
Intelligence & Security (I&S), based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do-from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels.
At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.