Ship Superintendent Internship for Summer 2020
The Ship Superintendent Internship learns to be a member of Project Management and is assigned tasks to learn the elements of responsibility of SHIP REPAIR and/or SHIP CONSTRUCTION during a 3 to 12 month period.
• The selected candidate will be exposed to various Departments to learn about the particular Technical Capabilities and responsibilities.
• The selected candidate maybe assigned to specific job or department to help facilitate the learning process.
APPLICATION AREA KNOWLEDGE, STANDARDS & REGULATIONS
The selected Candidate will be exposed to 1 or more of the following.
• Learns to utilize and ensures compliance with the Project Planning Policy per direction of Assigned Program Manager.
• Learns to communicate contract requirements, specifications and customer expectations to all departments to ensure incorporation into the Project plan.
• Learns to estimates change orders with input from crafts and subcontractors in accordance with the Corporate Estimating Policy.
• Learns to analyze schedule information providing progress and forecasts to Management; Identifies variances to project plan that may need immediate Management attention.
• Learns to identify and obtains written approval for contract change orders.
• Learns to develop and implement project/production schedules and other resource planning documents.
• Learns to disseminate work packages and work authorizations, prints and other pertinent project information.
• Learns to Plan, organize, and coordinate resources as a delegate of the project's Program Manager within all phases of ship repair, conversion, and fabrication.
• Learns to monitor and verify job progress and expenditures.
• Learns to Interface with Supply Chain, Estimating, Quality Assurance, and Crafts to ensure work is accomplished in accordance with the Project Plan.
• Learns to Act as liaison between owners, crafts and other regulatory bodies.
Typical Education & Experience
Required Skills and Education
Enrolled in a Bachelor's degree program in pursuit of a Mechanical Engineering, Naval Architecture, Marine Engineering, or related field of study
- Must have the ability to Perform ship checks and climb ladders
- Must be able to tour all vessels, piers, docks, and work sites.
- Regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described are those that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequently exposure to wet and/or humid conditions, outside weather conditions, extreme cold, and extreme heat.
- Occasional exposure to moving mechanical parts and high, precarious places.
- The noise level in the shipyard environment is usually loud; office environment is usually low to moderate.
Prefer up and rising Junior, Senior, and/or enrolled Graduate program student upon start of Internship.
Desired Experience with Autodesk Inventor, Solid Works, or AutoCAD, and all Microsoft Office suits. Note: CFD and FEA experience a plus
GPA of 3.0 or above.
Prefer experience with ships stability and buoyance calculations.
Knowledge of free body diagrams, and how loads are applied.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair...just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Arun P.Program Engineering Manager
Arun oversees the technical and operational aspects of engine control system projects for the company’s commercial airline clients around the world.
Back to top