Ship Repair Communications Manager I
This position is responsible for managing strategic Internal/Employee Communications efforts and campaigns for BAE Systems Ship Repair, and for the development and execution of key communications initiatives, including organizational-wide Community Relations, select Media Relations and site support of the company’s San Diego/West Coast facilities. The candidate will work with Ship Repair leadership to ensure the delivery of timely, effective Employee Communications products to promote key business unit news, events and activities. The candidate will work with shipyard representatives and community partners to plan and manage the company’s Community Relations initiatives. The candidate will perform additional duties in support of the Public Affairs and Media Relations requirements of the company’s West Coast shipyards. The position reports to the Ship Repair Communications Director. Position includes four to six-week familiarization session in Norfolk, Virginia, prior to final assignment in San Diego.
Primary responsibilities include:
1. Plan and manage an effective internal/employee communications program, by effectively partnering with company employees at all levels and assimilating information from various sources to deliver timely, appropriate products that achieve successful engagement with employees. Products include the monthly business newsletter and internal information channels across the Ship Repair organization.
2. Manage the budgeting activities of and innovate strategies for Ship Repair’s Community Investment program to enhance the company’s connection with its partners and support the company’s goal and reputation.
3. Support the Communications Director in managing Ship Repair’s widespread and diverse communications goals and requirements, particularly with on-scene support of the Public Affairs and emergent Media Relations activities of West Coast facilities.
4. Provide communications advice and support to the General Managers of the company’s West Coast shipyards to meet the business communications needs and requirements of those locations.
5. Areas of expertise: Writing / Employee Communications / Community Relations / Project Budgeting / Communications Services and Branding / Public Speaking
6. Perform additional job-related responsibilities and duties as assigned and/or necessary.
Minimum Education and Experience Bachelor’s Degree and 12 years work experience or equivalent experience Required Skills and Education · Education: Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, media or related discipline.
- Experience: Minimum 12 years.
- Communication leadership: Excellent written and oral communication, project management and interpersonal skills.
- Possess the Corporate Communications expertise and sound judgment to deliver results in a dynamic environment and simultaneously work on multiple projects with tight deadlines.
- Ability to work comfortably and effectively with employees at all levels of the organization – from the production worksite to the C-Suite.
- Experience with fostering positive engagement within a widespread organization that is significantly comprised of employees who do not have routine PC access.
- Experience with working both independently and as a contributing member in a matrixed organization.
- Ability to professionally represent the Ship Repair organization and BAE Systems to multiple audiences and stakeholders.
- Possess excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills.
Preferred Skills and Education · Master’s Degree and 10+ years of experience.
- Previous experience in managing Internal/Employee Communications for a multiple site manufacturing operation is preferred.
- Prior experience in the aerospace-defense industry, U.S. Navy and/or U.S. Merchant Marine service is ideal.
- Prior experience with managing Community Relations budgets and selecting effective partnerships.
- Prior experience with Media Relations, including crisis communication and social media engagement.
- Fluency with Spanish is a plus.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services Posting BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. With headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, this Platform and Services Group of BAE Systems employs nearly 11,000 professionals at more than 30 locations worldwide. Platform and Services is a global leader in the design, development, production, and service support of armored combat vehicles, major and minor caliber naval guns and missile launchers, canisters, artillery systems, and intelligent munitions. People are the greatest asset in any Company. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression EEO Career Site Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities . females . veterans . individuals with disabilities . sexual orientation . gender identity . gender expression
Back to top