Sheet Metal Mechanic (Fitter)
- San Diego, CA
BAE Systems is seeking a journey person sheet metal Mechanics/Fitters to plan, layout, fabricate, assemble, install and repair sheet metal parts for the repair and modernization of US Navy vessels.
Within This Role You Will:
- Utilize equipment including hand tools, power tools, machines and equipment.
- Sets up and operates fabricating machines, such as shears, brakes, presses, forming rolls and routers to cut, bend, lock and form, or straighten materials.
- Trims, files, grinds, deburrs, buffs and smooths surfaces using hand tools and portable power tools.
- Welds, solders, bolts, rivets, screws, clips, caulks, or bonds component parts to assemble products, using hand tools, power tools and equipment. Inspects assemblies and installation for conformance to specification.
- May install furniture such as air-conditioning and heating, ventilation ducting, cabinets, shelves and other equipment on board ships.
- Performs related tasks as assigned, some of which may become essential to the position.
• Must understand the layout of the ship and compartment identification
• Basic reading, writing and math skills required
• Capable of using hand and power tools safely and efficiently
• Must be able to read and interpret blueprints and military specifications
• Must be able to pass a written Sheet metal Exam.
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a Rapid Gate pass.
• Candidates may be required to travel to different BAE sites or Naval Bases
• Must be able to use hand tools and power tools safely and efficiently
• Must be flexible to working all shifts
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair...just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Back to top