Senior Technical Writer/Editor - Chemical Manufacturing
The Senior Technical Writer/Editor will support the New Nitrocellulose Facility project writing, editing, proofing technical operating and maintenance manuals and commissioning plan/procedures.
Generates, edits and proofreads technical documents, including technical manuals, maintenance procedures, standard operating procedures and manuals, miscellaneous reports, and proposals for grammar, spelling, clarity of expression, and organization. Ensures documents conform to company and government standards and specifications, and consistency of technical information (i.e., correct nomenclature, correct logic circuits, verify that text and art agree).
Provides leadership to technical writing staff. Operates as the principle interface between the Technical writing group, engineering, and the existing Training Department. Develops and maintains training procedures to operate and maintain new facilities and associated equipment constructed under the Modernization Program. Evaluates control system interfaces and provides recommendations to engineering staff for improvements.
Writes, rewrites and/or edits technical documents such as technical procedure manuals, user/service manuals, operating manuals, operational specifications, and related technical publications to communicate clearly and effectively technical specs and instructions to a wide range of audiences. Acquires subject knowledge by interviewing product developers, observing performance of production methods, referring to technical specifications, blueprints, engineering illustrations, and trade journals.
- Interface with personnel at various levels of the organization, including but not limited to department management, operations representatives, project managers and functional leads to capture details of cross-functional interactions related to manufacturing and testing processes.
- Interviews production, maintenance and engineering personnel and reads journals, reports and other material to become familiar with product technologies and production methods.
- Observes production, developmental, and experimental activities to determine operating procedure and detail.
- Develops, writes, and edits material to establish proper procedures associated with the operation, maintenance, and/or administration of machinery, processes, systems or facilities
- Reviews manufacturer’s and trade catalogs, drawings and other data relative to operation, maintenance, and service of equipment, including P&IDs and PFDs
- Evaluate documents for completeness and accuracy.
- Studies blueprints, sketches, drawings, parts lists, specifications, mock-ups and product samples to integrate and delineate technology, operating procedure, and production sequence and detail
- Selects photographs, drawings, sketches, diagrams and charts to illustrate material.
- Assists in laying out material for publication
- Develops, writes, coordinates and edits operations and maintenance manuals for the new NC plant.
- Coordinate maintenance procedures, spare part requirements and logistics support using MAXIMO.
- Transform the existing commissioning plan into actionable commissioning procedures.
Minimum Education and Experience Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years work experience or equivalent experience Required Skills and Education
- Technical college degree or significant relevant work experience.
- Expert-level skills with Microsoft Word; strong proficiency with Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Demonstrated skills in technical writing, grammar and usage, form, organization of ideas, and technical communications.
- Experience reviewing/revising/documenting text with the ability to understand mechanical and troubleshooting logic.
- Experience in training operators in a complex chemical manufacturing facility
Preferred Skills and Education
- Knowledge of the legacy Nitrocellulose process
- Knowledge of the MAXIMO system
- Ability to coordinate and build consensus with BAE engineering, operations and safety functions and the NC subcontractor.
- Familiarity with chemical process maintenance and operating manuals. About BAE Systems Platforms & Services Posting BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. With headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, this Platform and Services Group of BAE Systems employs nearly 11,000 professionals at more than 30 locations worldwide. Platform and Services is a global leader in the design, development, production, and service support of armored combat vehicles, major and minor caliber naval guns and missile launchers, canisters, artillery systems, and intelligent munitions. People are the greatest asset in any Company. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression EEO Career Site Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities . females . veterans . individuals with disabilities . sexual orientation . gender identity . gender expression
Back to top