Senior Survivability Engineer
This position is for a senior engineer, with focus on Survivability Systems that has knowledge of engineering and manufacturing practices. Familiarity with a comprehensive design process is required including conceptual and final design, support to procurement, work hands-on with assembly personnel, engineering test, integration and support of product qualification. The ability to understand threat requirements (typically Classified) tied in with knowledge of the manufacturing processes (specifically weldments using armor grade materials) will be primary focus in support of Combat Vehicle (CV) design. Survivability training and clearance can be acquired on the job.
The Survivability Senior Engineer position can be located at any of the BAE Systems Combat Vehicle sites with preferred location in York, PA. The responsibilities of the senior engineer is to support the Survivability IPT Lead in the design and integration of survivability systems. The role includes design, integration and coordination of production support activities for Survivability products to CV platforms. Survivability products include discretely assigned installations (e.g. armor and liners), and cross-platform protection solutions, e.g. underbody protection, structure/armor integrated ballistic protection, ballistic seats, automatic fire suppression, and chemical/biological protection. The Survivability Senior Engineer can be located at all sites and will represent CV Survivability Integrated Product Team (IPT) Leads by providing technical support to Production Change Requests, Problem Reports, Vendor Incident Reports and Production Work Instructions that pertain to Survivability installations. When necessary, the engineer will travel to York to provide production support as needed. The engineer will work with Vehicle Survivability engineers (e.g., IPT Leads, SMEs) as required to ensure that platform vulnerability reduction design intent (weldment integrity, fire prevention, compartmentalization, secondary effects, etc.) is maintained during production. The position requires significant interface with manufacturing and engineering and IPT Leads. This position may require some travel to support ballistic activities at Aberdeen Proving Grounds.
The Survivability senior engineer will work with Manufacturing and IPT Lead to deliver validate and support CV platform ballistic test assets (coupons, BH&T and Live Fire test vehicle) in accordance to requirements. The Senior Engineer will ensure that Survivability best practices are applied to vehicle manufacture. Duties as follows:
- Reports to the Survivability IPT Lead and is responsible for the design and integration of Survivability Installations for specified program.
- Must be proficient in CREO and effectively communicate designs to Survivability IPT Lead. Must be effective communicator with peers to ensure survivability designs are integrated to the vehicle platform.
- Engineer must have proven record of accomplishment of applying tolerance studies to ensure proper fit-up of installations onto vehicle platforms.
- Support Survivability IPT during ESIP and assist manufacturing and engineering personnel in addressing armor integration and weldment issues - ensuring survivability best practices are built into production line per design.
- Provide timely response to problems identified on the production floor with appropriate corrective action taken to mitigate potential shortfalls.
The Survivability senior engineer will ensure that Survivability best practices (material selection, weldment quality) are applied in the CV design. Emphasis will be placed upon ensuring compliance to established BAE Systems and program processes and procedures while achieving design quality and execution. The Survivability senior engineer will be assigned to the respective IPT lead and report functionally to the Survivability manager. In addition to the technical aspect of this position, the senior engineer will at all times promote and maintain a safe work environment and ensure compliance with all safety rules of the company.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The individual would be responsible for tasks unique to Survivability as follows:
- Design and Integration of Survivability Systems onto combat vehicle platforms
- Knowledge of requirements and their impact to design.
- Providing technical support to Production Change Requests, Problem Reports, Vendor Incident Reports and Production Work Instructions that pertain to Survivability installations
- LFT&E Survivability Support to IPT Lead at USG/contractor test facilities
- Design, development and test of armor weldment coupons per ballistic requirements
- Liaison between manufacturing, engineering and CV Survivability IPT Lead
- Apply knowledge (lessons learned) in support of ESIP applying best weldment practices
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 4 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
Minimum Requirements :
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant technical discipline; or an equivalent combination of education and experience with 6 plus years relevant experience in working in a manufacturing and USG test environments.
- Experience with use of Windchill (EPDM) and drawing repository (EDVS) systems.
- Proficient with drawing, model and GD&T standards and application using CREO.
- Specialized technical knowledge of relevant military and commercial design standards.
- Ability to qualify for US Government Security Clearance - SECRET
- Working knowledge of a variety of combat vehicle systems and their interrelationships.
- Experience with engineering survivability design, prototyping, production and test environments with relevant ground vehicle applications in the defense environment.
- Ability to evaluate and solve technical problems working with team members and others that require extensive investigation and analysis.
- Component / Subsystem / System design, integration, production, and/or test experience with military combat vehicles.
- Conducts effective meetings, discussions and presentations.
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal and external individuals, including BAE Systems customers.
- Practices and contributes to corporate, division, and department mission and culture.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair...just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Back to top