Senior Supplier Quality Engineer
This position will be based in Merrimack NH and include approximately 15-25% plus travel. Travel will be a mix of local, day visits as well as overnight travel, outside the local area.
We are looking for a Senior Supplier Quality Engineer to implement tools and processes to ensure suppliers improve on current products with robust plans and deliver first time quality to BAE program customers. Additionally, this person will be responsible for qualifying new suppliers for the program. The person will also investigate, evaluate, and resolve supplier quality problems and conducting audits, analyzing defect trends, and leading continuous improvement projects. The Supplier Quality Engineer will conduct capability assessments that verify supplier qualifications, travel to assigned suppliers, and lead multiple projects to completion. You must be a self-starting problem solver who will utilize your analytical skills to find innovative solutions to quality-related issues. A strong desire and mindset to drive actions and projects to closure without being prompted is a must. Strong communication skills are required to ensure suppliers understand requirements and expectations, make progress reports and present findings. Ability to summarize briefing/findings at an executive leadership level.
Additionally you will:
Utilize supplier Scorecards/metrics and analytical tools to quantify performance levels of individual suppliers and work with those suppliers to develop improvement plans to achieve 100% quality performance
Evaluate and assess the impact of nonconforming product and suppliers' corrective actions, including timely communication with the program team of both.
- Champion problem solving and root cause analysis activities with suppliers to eliminate recurrence of non-conformances
- Perform Production Process Verifications (PPV's) at supplier locations and participate in PPAP review process and other aspects of APQP
- Perform and Evaluate First Article Inspections per the requirements of AS9102 as well as train suppliers to meet BAE Systems expectations
- Drive "Zero Defect" culture within the supply base
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 4 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Bachelor's Degree and 4+ years work experience or equivalent experience
- Ability to analyze supplier defect/performance data and translate them into an analytical approach. Ability to identify data trends across parts, suppliers, programs and business area. Ability to work and translate analytical data metrics into defect resolution/risk mitigation plans/actions.
- Experience in a high volume manufacturing environment
- Electro-Mechanical background
- Working knowledge of AS9100 or equivalent Quality Management Systems
- Working knowledge of commodity inspection/test, equipment and instrumentation
- Understanding of drawings and Y14.5 GD&T with ability to determine compliance
- Experience executing or coaching suppliers on AS9102 FAIs and PPVs
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as technical drawings, specifications, requirements, and procedure manuals
- Ability to make decisions using sound judgment while complying with policies, procedures, appropriate principles and applicable state and federal laws and regulations
- Excellent planning, time management and organization skills
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Technical field
- Proficiency with Minitab or similar software package
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt or Black belt training / experience / certification
- Experience with APQP & PPAP requirements and implementation or equivalent automotive standards
- Experience with Special Processes, Product Production Line Validation, test, equipment, and instrumentation Experience with electrical/mechanical inspections, product test, equipment and instrumentation
- Working knowledge of supply chain logistics from raw material to finished goods including experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system/Quality Management Software system
- Machining, casting, cables, optics are a plus
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Back to top