Senior Scientist - Mixed Autonomy
We are looking for highly motivated and innovative scientists and engineers with a passion for developing intelligent systems and associated technologies. The Multi-scale, Mixed-domain, Mixed-autonomy Teams for Resourceful Operations (M3TRO) Group draws from various disciplines - including mathematics, physics, control theory, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cognitive architectures, operations research, computational social science, and game theory - to advance the state-of-the-art in complex system analysis, interactive analytics, and coordinated adaptive systems.
Today's threat environment and tomorrow's conflicts will require the coordination of analytic capabilities and autonomous systems that can learn and adapt to uncertain, contested, and evolving operating environments in support of warfighters, intelligence analysts, and special operators.
Our research and development portfolio spans the Autonomy stack in multiple dimensions: Adaptive controls and coordination, learning and sense-making, and computational modeling.
We work across the S&T spectrum, from fundamental model and algorithm development to simulation-based and laboratory experimentation, with an eye toward internal and external technology transfer to operational systems.
Applications include coordinated autonomy for multi-platform operations; interactive analytics for decision-makers in complex environments; and computational models that enable intelligent systems to make decisions in the context of other intelligent actors.
We are funded by various research organizations, including DARPA and the service labs, and our mandate includes transitioning technologies into operational systems.
As a Senior Scientist, your responsibilities include:
- Setting technical direction on programs and technology capabilities in the area of Intelligent Systems
- Leading multi-disciplinary technical teams; leading and contributing to technical designs, implementations, and integrated capabilities
- Leading and contributing to conference and journal publications; and engaging in the development and pursuit of business opportunities.
We value candidates who are self-directed yet are good team players, entrepreneurial, and goal- and success-oriented.
Typical Education & Experience
Typical Education & Experience: New Ph.D.
Required Skills and Education
- Doctorate degree in an Engineering discipline or Scientific field; Master's degree with 2+ years professional experience; Bachelor's Degree with 4+ years of experience.
- Demonstrated technical competence in some or all of following fields: Machine learning, perception, and reasoning; Cognitive Architectures; Self-adaptive systems; Semantic reasoning; Localization and mapping, probabilistic path planning, and task planning; Efficient knowledge representations and Sharing mechanisms; Human-machine collaboration; Non-linear system control and state estimation; Signal processing and data fusion
- Strong software prototyping skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Aptitude for technical baseline and proposal development
- Strong project and technical leadership skills
- Able to work across a broad range of disciplines to structure undefined programs, identify key technical issues, and develop novel approaches supported by sound scientific principles and prior art
- Able to learn quickly and figure things out on the spot. This individual may be called upon to represent the company in high visibility and rapid turnaround activities entailing travel and customer/teammate interaction. Such activities are sometimes in quick response to unforeseen circumstances and require a steep learning curve and tactful engineering professionalism.
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Arun P.Program Engineering Manager
Arun oversees the technical and operational aspects of engine control system projects for the company’s commercial airline clients around the world.
Back to top