Senior Scientist - Electro-Optical Infrared (EOIR)
See what you're missing. Our employees work on the world's most advanced electronics - from detecting threats for F-35 pilots to illuminating the night for soldiers. Spanning air, land, sea, and space, we are developing the technology of tomorrow, delivered today. Drawing strength from our differences, we're innovating for the future. And you can, too. Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first - exemplified by our mission: "We Protect Those Who Protect Us®." Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with BAE Systems.
The Sensor Technologies (ST) directorate's Tactical Sensor Systems (TSS) seeks an energetic and highly skilled candidate to augment our research and development team creating innovative Electro-Optical Infrared (EOIR) sensors, processing, and optimization solutions. The successful candidate will work closely with subject matter experts, researchers, and design engineers to develop and demonstrate next generation EOIR sensors, systems, and techniques for challenges of unusual complexity that require a high degree of ingenuity, creativity, and passion. TSS develops and demonstrates affordable systems providing situational awareness and enhancing survivability for the ground and surface tactical platforms of our warfighters.
Our typical project duration is 1-3 years, which helps keep the research new and interesting, but the projects do not just die when the initial program ends. TSS is part of BAE Systems FAST Labs, which acts as the research and development core of Electronic Systems' five other business areas. Through research programs funded by science and technology R&D organizations within the U.S. Department of Defense, the research and development team in FAST Labs collaborate across the enterprise. Once we finish the research, we work to transition our programs to those business areas.
Specific job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Model, analyze, and test EOIR systems and components for a variety of military/commercial applications.
- Plan, execute, and analyze EOIR laboratory and field experiments.
- Develop and demonstrate advanced algorithms for EOIR systems including image processing, filtering, detection, tracking, remote sensing, and laser ranging.
- Generate internal plans and external proposals for novel technologies, algorithms, or systems development.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 4 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- BS in EE, Physics, Optics, Electro-optics or equivalent with 4+ years of experience working with complex EOIR systems; or MS in EE, Physics, Optics, Electro-Optics or equivalent with 2+ years of experience working with complex EOIR systems.
- US Citizen with active US Secret clearance.
- Experience designing and deploying algorithms for Electro-Optic/IR applications.
- Modeling and simulation proficiency in at least one (multiple preferred) common language (i.e. MATLAB, Mathematica, Python, C/++, etc.)
- Experience working with multi-disciplinary teams consisting of mechanical, electrical, optical, software and systems engineers, and interacting effectively with project management to achieve project goals.
- Experience implementing systems engineering practices and working knowledge of DoD product development lifecycle
- Strong analytic, written communication, and oral communications skills and experience in development of technical data, proposals, and customer interaction
- Expertise in software, firmware, electrical, optical or mechanical hardware
- Expertise and experience in at least one optical application including Infrared Countermeasures, Passive detection and tracking, LIDAR, coherent LIDAR, atmospheric modeling
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Arun P.Program Engineering Manager
Arun oversees the technical and operational aspects of engine control system projects for the company’s commercial airline clients around the world.
Back to top