Senior Research Scientist
Job Description BAE Systems is looking for a Senior Research Engineer to support several new program starts. For one effort, we seek to develop an X-ray microscope for non-destructive imaging at 10 nm resolution. For another effort, we seek to develop an “undersea GPS” system for accurate positioning of vehicles at any location and depth within an ocean basin. These efforts leverage knowledge in numerous disciplines, including physics, oceanography, nanoimaging, Bayesian inversion, data assimilation, and large scale computing.
Who we are:
We are a small group in a research laboratory setting, with access to a large company’s technology transition paths, customer base, and other resources. Our group executes a variety of scientific and engineering R&D efforts for the Department of Defense (DoD) and the Intelligence Community (IC). Join us for amazing R&D challenges and work on revolutionary technologies that makes a direct real-world impact.
What we offer:
- Exciting research primarily sponsored by Department of Defense research organizations
- Focus areas such as physics, oceanography, nanoimaging, uncertainty quantification, Bayesian inversion, data assimilation, remote sensing, large-scale computing
- Exceptional co-workers and teammates
- A fun and stimulating environment, excellent benefits, and every other Friday off
- Workplace in Burlington, MA very near to vibrant Boston, and historical Concord and Lexington
- Opportunity to collaborate with top faculty and researchers in local and across-the-nation universities
- Opportunity to become remarkably diverse, capable and facile across numerous fields and domains
- Opportunity to realize algorithms in actual systems, including the potential for field testing at sites all over the US and the world
- In time, opportunity to extend the program area(s) you’ll be joining, and/or to develop and grow your own
What we want:
We want it all! Our preferred candidate is a factotum. We are looking for someone who has interests or skills in a number of the technical areas listed below. These areas roughly segregate into (a) nanoscale imaging, X-rays, and electron microscopy and (b) physical oceanography and data assimilation. While you may be lacking experience in one of these areas, we seek someone with the flexibility and ingenuity to apply remarkable insights to multiple domains. Most important is a self-driven zeal to identify and solve the hard problems, take ownership of these challenges and drive them to conclusion, while contributing to the excitement and mission of the workplace.
Minimum Education and Experience Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years work experience or equivalent experience Required Skills and Education · Ph.D. in experimental or theoretical physics, applied mathematics, physical oceanography or a relevant discipline
- Ability to write advanced scientific software in relevant programming languages.
- Established record of publications in scientific journals
- Strong communications and collaboration skills, ability to work in a team setting
- Eligibility for a SECRET clearance
Technical knowledge in one or more of the following areas:
- Statistical reconstruction tomography including objective function formulation, iterative optimization methods, design of regularization functions, implementation on clusters and/or GPUs
- Knowledge of x-ray phenomenology, facility with theory for x-ray imaging systems
- Monte Carlo transport of electrons, positrons and photons in heterogeneous media e.g. with tools such as PENELOPE or GEANT-IV
- Understanding of architectures of integrated circuits (ICs) and interest in labeling circuit components in GDSII language using x-ray tomography inferences of physical structure and chemical identity and prior design knowledge
- Data assimilation as in oceanography and/or meteorology for joint optimization over data misfits and constrained to underlying dynamical equations
- Modeling of acoustic wave propagation in dynamical ocean models, and accounting for mesoscale and sub-mesoscale structures such as eddies, western boundary currents, internal waves and astronomical tides
- Development of physics-based models for short-time duration ocean forecast models, and ac- counting for temporal changes in the ocean propagation channel due to such features as long-wavelength internal waves
- Development of signal processing algorithms to detect and track long-range undersea multipath acoustic transmission arrivals, and accounting for stochastic effects such as short wavelength internal waves
- Development of adjoint codes for complex numerical simulation programs, and using open source tools for that purpose such as OpenAD
- Experience with complex, physics-based open-source packages available from GitHub such as xraylib, TomoPy, etc.
Preferred Skills and Education · Experience with implementation of algorithms for GPUs and/or large scale computing environments
- Interest and/or experience in field test experimentation (at-sea, synchrotrons, other sites)
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression EEO Career Site Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities . females . veterans . individuals with disabilities . sexual orientation . gender identity . gender expression
Back to top