Senior Product Safety, Reliability, and Maintainability Engineer
This position is responsible for guiding efforts to ensure safety, reliability & maintainability of equipment, processes, and technical data products. The Senior Safety, Reliability & Maintainability Engineer performs the following:
1. Performs professional technical analysis requiring the full use and wide application of Engineering principles, theories, concepts and precedents concentrating in the area of Product Safety. Must be able to work independently in making technical decisions, follow and develop Product Safety Processes, perform product safety audits, participate in Phase reviews, design reviews, test readiness reviews, and overall promote the Product safety discipline.
2. Performs professional technical analysis requiring the full use and wide application of Engineering principles, theories, concepts and precedents in one or more of the Reliability, Maintainability, and Safety (RMS) disciplines, plus a working knowledge of other related disciplines such as Logistics and Testability. Makes independent technical decisions. Can accomplish most RMS tasks independently, however may need some supervision. Good facility with industry standard RMS toolsets and techniques.
3. Coordinates and directs the work efforts of lower level engineers and support personnel, if assigned. Responsible for tracking labor and/or material expenditures for use in program control .
4. Provides product safety engineering guidance to programs as required during life cycle phases. Plans and supports or in cases directs test activities; develops and maintains the programs Safety Cases and analyzes and mitigates the safety issues. Prepares/reviews Safety cases for publication. Ensures that test the Safety Case information, as required, is captured with company standard tools and processes for Safety Case management & reporting. Responsible for "lessons learned" abstraction and capture.
5. Supports Reliability Leads on proposals as required. Works with Systems Engineering to ensure full comprehension and inclusion of Safety and RMS requirements contributing to higher level performance measures .
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 4 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
Bachelor Degree in a technical field, i.e. Engineering or Scientific field.
4+ years of experience within the Safety and RMS Engineering disciplines.
US Citizenship required
Preferred Skills and Education
Electronic Warfare Systems background preferred, but not required.
Competency in developing and maintaining Safety Cases per MIL-STD-882E or equivalent preferred.
Familiar with System Safety analysis tools, techniques and Fault Tree Analysis.
Familiarity with the identification of Hazardous Materials.
Familiarity with the Human Factors MIL-STD-1472F and how to analyze and apply to products.
Reliability, Maintainability, Human Factors, and/or Testability/Built In Test experience preferred.
Proven Product Safety evaluation and analysis skills and experience desired.
Proven Safety issue mitigation experience desired.
Familiarity with the business standard Safety hazard tracking and reporting tools
Familiarity with Design For Safety concepts and techniques a plus.
Awareness of Reliability Maturation Test (RMT)
Awareness of and/or minimal exposure to Reliability and Maintainability testing activities to include maintainability demonstrations, Highly Accelerated Life Testing (HALT), Accelerated Life/Stress Test, Reliability Growth Testing (RGT), and Environmental Stress Screening (ESS).
Proven planning or testing experience with any of above specific tests or screening activities is a plus.
Strong oral and written communication skills
Strong interpersonal skills and leadership experience preferred.
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Vice President, Finance
Chandra helps steer the overall financial direction of BAE Systems’ headquarters. She interacts with many teams to lead mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general maintenance of all the numbers.
Back to top