Senior Principal Software Engineer
See what you're missing. Our employees work on the world's most advanced electronics - from detecting threats for F-35 pilots to illuminating the night for soldiers. Spanning air, land, sea, and space, we are developing the technology of tomorrow, delivered today. Drawing strength from our differences, we're innovating for the future. And you can, too.
Our engineers are the lifeblood of our company and we're more than 5,000 strong. With our robust offering of educational and career development opportunities, your chances to grow are limitless. We have multiple open positions in our Wayne and Totowa, New Jersey locations.
We are looking for talented Senior Principal Level Software engineers to help us create the world's most advanced solutions in Electronic Warfare and Communications for our defense related customers.
Our products provide critical mission capabilities to address the ever-evolving challenges and threats to our nation's security and the war fighter.
In this role, you will be an integrated team member, with leadership opportunities, collaborating with Systems, Hardware, and Test engineers in one or more of the phases of Project Planning, Requirements Development, Design, Development, Integration and Testing.
You will prepare design and project documentation intended to be used within complex programs or across sets of programs in accordance with established processes. We will provide you opportunities to learn, leverage our current technologies, incorporate new technologies, and be a leader in our engineering organization.
We put our customers first - exemplified by our mission: "We Protect Those Who Protect Us®."
- Duties include analyzing, designing, coding and code modification (typically in C++) of complex software designs for simple systems or subsystems or subsystems of larger systems.
- Evaluate complex software designs to identify design flaws.
- Establish communication to keep management informed of the function's progress and results.
- Use existing processes and evolve processes to utilize the most effective new techniques as they become available, assuring the use of methodologies which minimize both design cost and product cost.
- Provide, directly or indirectly, top level technical leadership for the assigned design discipline including selection and exploitation of promising new technologies, long-term goals, etc.
- Ensure effective communication between assigned engineers and all other participants in the design process.
- Prepare design documentation, in accordance with established processes.
- Work within various software development environments and perform integration and test in target test environments.
- Participate in external project interactions with other companies.
- Opportunities are available as a technical lead on the program where you will mentor your team and present the technical design at technical interchange meetings with the customer.
* Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 8 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Must hold a DoD Secret level security clearance
- Bachelor's Degree and 8 years work experience or equivalent experience
- Extensive background in embedded and/or application software development
- Foundation in Object-Oriented design and implementation principles
- Experience with software and systems engineering processes, methodologies, and tools
- Experience performing software testing, validation, and verification activities
- Demonstrated ability to develop, lead, and motivate technical teams
- Possess strong problem-solving skills that translate to working software
- Proficient with source code control tools
- Real-time embedded development
- Full life cycle software development
- Software automated test development and execution
- Software algorithm development
- Agile development experience
- Previous experience in technical/project team leadership
- Master's Degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Back to top