Senior Principal Research Software Engineer
Looking to develop software for innovative, adaptive, incremental learning, estimation, control and/or optimization approaches to challenging real-world problems in entrepreneurial, collaborative, agile, multidisciplinary teams focused on advancing the state-of-the-art? You’ve found the right place!
The Adaptive Reasoning Technologies (ART) directorate is a cutting-edge, multidisciplinary research and engineering organization that is BAE Systems’ lead for invention and application of innovative machine learning, control, and optimization approaches to learn patterns of behavior from a wide range of data sources, including real-time sensor feeds. Exploitation uses of these behavioral models include anomaly and change detection, prediction of future behavior, and recognition of complex events and activities. Applications of our technology include terrestrial, maritime, and space domains over a range of sensing modalities (e.g., radar, full motion video, radio communication) spanning the technology readiness spectrum from basic research through fielded operational systems. Our cutting edge projects and opportunities advance the frontiers of science as well as contributing to practical systems that solve real problems.
We are seeking a highly creative experienced Research Software Engineer to lead and contribute to development of advanced algorithms and systems in diverse research areas applying machine learning, probabilistic reasoning, adaptive control, and/or optimization to cutting edge problems such as learning normal behavior patterns of tracked entities (e.g., dismounts, vehicles, vessels, aircraft, satellites, software-defined radios, cyber system users and hosts) to detect anomalous activity or changes in patterns, predict future behavior, or provide advance warning of impending threats to friendly assets. You must be highly motivated, have strong problem-solving abilities, and be willing to perform a wide variety of related tasks.
You must be a team player with a proactive attitude and the capacity to be creative and productive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. You must have strong writing and general communication skills, with strong presentation skills. You will participate in meetings with customers, co-contractors, and/or sub-contractors. Some travel may be required to support customer or collaborator meetings, software integration and testing, and/or capability demonstrations.
Our ideal Research Software Engineer is a strong technician, preferably with an entrepreneurial streak, who can develop innovative, robust, and extensible software solutions, present their ideas to colleagues and customers, contribute to winning proposals, and execute effectively to realize those solutions using an agile methodology. You must have demonstrated capacity to create and/or sustain well-architected software suitable for supporting a usage spectrum ranging from rapid algorithm prototyping typically performed by research scientists through continuous, reliable performance in operational environments. You must be able to: (1) evaluate a variety of potentially suitable software technologies for a given problem and provide, and defend, recommendations; (2) provide software-related technical leadership as well as hands-on execution across the software development life-cycle; and (3) function effectively in response to (often rapidly) changing requirements.
As a successful candidate, you: (a) will lead small multi-disciplinary teams that may include members from collaborating universities, other companies, and customer organizations; and (b) will interact directly with customers to participate in design reviews, support integration, testing, and demonstration, and/or produce clear, user-friendly documentation. Strong general written and oral communication skills are critical to your professional success in this role.
U.S. citizenship and a current SCI security clearance are required. Work for this position will be performed primarily in the Metropolitan DC/Virginia area.
Minimum Education and Experience Bachelor’s Degree and 12 years work experience or equivalent experience Required Skills and Education Masters degree with 10+ years experience
- Strong experience leading exploratory research and development efforts including overseeing activities of other, potentially junior, personnel
- Strong experience presenting to technical audiences and directly interacting with customers to understand their requirements and guide research and development efforts to meet their needs
- Strong agile development design and implementation experience in Java (and C++ a plus) implementing advanced algorithms and large systems geared towards real-world applications; experience with Matlab and scripting languages a strong plus
- Strong experience building, integrating, running, and maintaining complex research and development software systems
- Strong experience leading teams to successfully develop advanced solutions to challenging problems as substantive research prototype or product quality systems
- Strong skills in software project planning (e.g., cost and schedule estimates) and software architecture development
- Strong competence with managing formal life-cycle engineering processes (e.g., CMMI) and experience with full life-cycle software development
- Strong analytic and project and personnel leadership skills
- Strong writing and presentation skills sufficient to support: (a) creation and sustainment of lines of research through marketing via direct interaction with customers and proposal writing; and (b) publication of research results in professional, peer-reviewed journals and technical conferences
- Supervision/leadership/mentorship of junior staff
- Demonstrably strong command of object-oriented programming and software design fundamentals (e.g., design patterns)
- Demonstrably strong command of source control systems (e.g., Subversion) and configuration management practices
- Strong knowledge of a range of software development technologies and tools, including Eclipse, Maven (or similar), UML design tools, automated test frameworks (e.g., JUnit), DBMSs (e.g., Oracle, MySQL) and relational representation tools, XML, integration frameworks (e.g., Spring), distributed (and possibly embedded) computing, multi-platform/multi-OS technologies and computing architectures (e.g., GP-GPUs)
Preferred Skills and Education – Experience in defense or intelligence industries highly desirable
- Solid (or better) background in mathematics, machine learning, probabilistic reasoning, adaptive control, and/or optimization
- Experience with Matlab and scripting languages a strong plus
- Proposal writing experience/aptitude
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 100,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. Electronic Solutions, based in Nashua, New Hampshire, provides systems and products that maximize the effectiveness and safety of fighting forces and first responders. Its offerings include infrared countermeasures and electronic protection systems for military and civilian aircraft; information management systems; signal acquisition, analysis, and exploitation systems that optimize use of the electromagnetic spectrum by friendly forces while denying its use by adversaries; interoperable communications systems for firefighters and other first responders; thermal weapon sights; precision targeting systems; situational awareness systems for ground vehicles; night-vision systems; identification friend or foe systems; and radiation-hardened electronics. Electronic Solutions also includes the group’s Technology Solutions unit, which joins the business with government research organizations and industry to develop and demonstrate innovative system concepts in such areas as situational awareness, communications and networking, and precision targeting.
People are the greatest asset in any Company …
BAE Systems is committed to a high performance culture and provides an environment that challenges our employees to be remarkable and obtain their full potential.
Equal Opportunity Employer. Females. Minorities. Veterans. Disabled
Back to top