Senior Principal Mechanical Engineer
We want your talent to support activities for complex avionics electronics systems in our growing avionics business areas.
Controls and Avionics Solutions provides flight and mission-critical products to more than 170 commercial and military customers around the world. CAS products include fly-by-wire flight controls, pilot controls (inceptor systems), full authority digital engine controls (FADEC), power management systems, flight deck systems, cabin management systems, weapon controls, autonomous flight systems, and mission systems for the world's most prominent commercial and military aircraft manufacturers.
Our growing business is located in the Greater Binghamton area which is home to several sports teams, shopping centers, a growing downtown, the State University of New York at Binghamton, several large healthcare employers and some of New York's top-ranked school districts. The area enjoys a rich heritage with multiple diverse communities with local cuisine and festival celebrations. From the area to an hour out there is access to hiking, skiing, lakes, waterparks, casinos, golfing, camping and vineyards. A 9/80 work schedule gives employees a great opportunity to experience all that the region has to offer and provides a balanced work and family lifestyle.Job responsibilities for the position may include:
- Apply expertise in the area of design, analysis and/or selection of components for motion control systems for military aircraft and weapons systems. Components may include but not limited to: drive motors, gears, linkages, cables, bearings, sensors, housings, cables.
- Serve as an engineering interface with suppliers of mechanical components through the life cycle, from obtaining quotes from suppliers to ensuring selected suppliers are meeting BAE's technical requirements.
- Develop requirements and flow them down to suppliers via engineering drawings, statements of work, and specification documents.
- Design and deploy test fixtures and related test equipment required for lab testing mechanical assemblies
- Design, analysis, and selection of motion control linkages, mechanisms, and gear assemblies.
- Design, analysis, and testing of enclosures, connectors, and cables
- Own and execute laboratory testing of mechanical prototypes of motion control mechanisms and associated cables and components.
- Interpret mechanical design requirements, customer specifications, industry and military specifications and ensure that all requirements are realized in the design of the equipment.
- Design or select components and systems to meet environmental and reliability requirements typically encountered on military and commercial programs.
- Prepare and substantiate Engineering changes to released designs, and review changes written by other team members.
- Design for producibility, partnering with the Manufacturing Engineers and suppliers to drive a producible and cost efficient design in the production environment.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with stakeholders across the functions, from suppliers to BAE manufacturing, to achieve the optimal design and manufacture of the equipment.
- Support concept designs in support of proposals on an as-needed basis.
- Develop test plans in support of Qualification, Accelerated Life testing, Stress Screening, Reliability growth, as well as Design Verification.
- Ability to review and interpret engineering drawings and specifications from suppliers as well as internal.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, schedule driven environment.
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 8 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Ability to take ownership of an engineering task with minimal guidance, and to lead and coach other engineers with less experience.
- Design of mechanical components and systems using 3D CAD tools such as Creo Parametric or similar 3D CAD tools. Tasks include creation of 3D models and 2D drawings.
- Experience in design, analysis, and selection of drive motors, and related mechanical motion control components, preferably in an Aerospace/Military or other high reliability application.
- Exercise discretion and independent judgment in the performance of duties while complying with policies, procedures, appropriate principles and applicable state and federal laws.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Exhibit sound interpersonal skills involving interfacing, coordinating and negotiating with company personnel, customers, suppliers.
- Working knowledge of drawing and configuration management practices.
- Utilize computer skills to prepare appropriate reports and documents
- Education: Advanced degree in Engineering and 15+ years of related experience.
- Ability to effectively lead a small team in the solution of open ended problems.
- Ability to coach and teach others in the organization.
- Experience designing for high G-force applications
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Vice President, Finance
Chandra helps steer the overall financial direction of BAE Systems’ headquarters. She interacts with many teams to lead mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general maintenance of all the numbers.
Back to top