Senior Principal II Game Theory Scientist
-How do we apply game theory to non-traditional warfare, such as identifying terrorists and their intent in other countries?
-How can we prevent an adversary from predicting our next step when they are using optimal game theory analysis?
These are actual problems that the scientists and researchers in DEFI are working to solve every day.
As a scientist in DEFI, you will work in small to medium groups of researchers and engineers on projects that typically last 1-3 years. Working on different projects keeps things new and interesting, but the projects don't just stop when our research stops. DEFI is part of FAST Labs TM , which acts as the research and development core of Electronic Systems' five other business areas. Once we finish the research, we work to transition our programs to those business areas. Our tracking, fusion, and analytic algorithms go to the Command, Control, Communications, and Computers Intelligence, Surveillance, and Recognizance Systems (C4ISR) business area to improve their products that are used by military and intelligence analysts every day. Or they may go to the Electronic Combat Solutions (ECS) business area to add capability to their electronic warfare systems installed on aircraft like the F-35 or B-2. By sitting at the heart of BAE Systems' R&D organization, our research has a direct path through the greater company to enhance the capabilities of American soldiers.
A game-theory-centric scientist at the senior principal II level is expected to lead large (5-10+) teams in the design, development, execution, and implementation of novel, state-of-the-art algorithms and solutions to complex problems. Technical writing is important, as you will be expected to author conference papers, journal articles, and/or invention disclosures. You will also define, propose, and lead independent research and development activities to prepare the business for future challenges. A senior principal scientist II spends a significant amount of time supporting business development by generating ideas, writing technical proposals, and/or white papers, developing new customer relationships, and mentoring more junior scientists in the business development process.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 10 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
We are looking for scientists with foundations skills in one or more of the following who are interested in learning more:
- Competitive games (Stackelberg and Cournot competition, matrix games)
- Some familiarity with differential games and/or equilibrium problems (complementarity theory, mathematical programming with equilibrium constraints, Karush-Kuhn-Tucker conditions for optimality)
- Probabilistic Models, Markov decision processes, finite state machines
- Linear and nonlinear programming
- Stochastic programming (recourse problems, probabilistic constraints, robust optimization)
- Dynamic Programming (Bellman equation)
- Analytic, numerical, and heuristic solver methods to mathematical programs
Preferred Skills and Education
- Bachelor's Degree with 10+ year of professional research experience, or
- Master's Degree with 8+ years of professional research experience, or
- Doctorate with 6+ years of professional research experience
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Back to top