Senior Principal EO/IR Systems Engineer - Active Sensing
BAE Systems is seeking an experienced Systems Engineer in the field of Active Electro-Optical Sensing to join a growing dynamic group of engineers developing leading edge capabilities for Defense applications. You will be a member of the Optical Systems Capability Group that is responsible for supplying engineering staff and test resources for the execution of design, development, and implementation of electro optical solutions across multiple business areas.
As an individual contributor, you will be responsible for bringing innovative and discriminating technologies to bear on next-generation military/commercial applications. As an individual contributor, you will perform in the role of Chief Engineer and System Architect for programs ranging from research and development prototypes to full rate production systems.
Specific job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Architect, develop CONOPS and requirements, design, model, analyze, and test electro- optical systems and components used in a variety of active sensing solutions to military/commercial applications.
- Develop information that extends knowledge in the field of active sensing in the EO domain. Apply this knowledge to the development of advanced concepts, techniques, products or standards in active EO sensing.
- Act as a recognized expert, consultant, and advisor to support program and corporate management as well as customers in making strategic technology decisions.
- Lead multi-disciplinary teams and aid in the development of junior engineers in the EO domain, supporting their growth through mentoring and training.
* Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status.
Typical Education & Experience
Required Skills and Education
- In-depth working knowledge of: LADAR/LiDAR and/or other active sensing theory, techniques, components, and systems across the electro optical spectrum from UV to LWIR; laser characteristics, atmospheric transmission and modeling; conduct of complex trade studies involving sensors, optical designs, link budgets, SWaP, and environmental constraints; performance testing of EO components, sub-systems, and complete systems.
- US Citizen eligible for Top Secret clearance.
- Experience with Systems Engineering processes and practices and working knowledge of DoD product development/lifecycle management.
- Experience leading multi-disciplinary teams consisting of mechanical, electrical, optical, software, and systems engineers.
- Experience working independently with limited supervision and interacting effectively with project management to achieve project goals. Ability to lead a team.
- Active Secret clearance
- Experienced in developing systems for integration on Space, Flight, and/or Ground Mobile platforms
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Back to top