Senior Principal Data Association Scientist
-Multi-Hypothesis Tracking (MHT) has been the standard for multi-target, multi-sensor fusion for decades. Recently, graph-based approaches have become popular. Can Random Finite Sets (RFS) improve the computational and functional performance over both?
-Traditionally, data association has focused on hard-hard or soft-soft association. Hard-soft data fusion has come about much more recently - how can we associate video tracks of tanks to chat logs of intelligence analysts talking about tanks?
-Social media by itself represents a massive amount of information. Can we combine it with traditional data sources like SIGINT and MASINT to do even more?
These are actual problems that the scientists and researchers in DEFI are working to solve every day.
As a scientist in DEFI, you will work in small to medium groups of researchers and engineers on projects that typically last 1-3 years. Working on different projects keeps things new and interesting, but the projects don't just stop when our research stops. DEFI is part of FAST Labs TM , which acts as the research and development core of Electronic Systems' five other business areas. Once we finish the research, we work to transition our programs to those business areas. Our tracking, fusion, and analytic algorithms go to the Command, Control, Communications, and Computers Intelligence, Surveillance, and Recognizance Systems (C4ISR) business area to improve their products that are used by military and intelligence analysts every day. Or they may go to the Electronic Combat Solutions (ECS) business area to add capability to their electronic warfare systems installed on aircraft like the F-35 or B-2. By sitting at the heart of BAE Systems' R&D organization, our research has a direct path through the greater company to enhance the capabilities of American soldiers.
A data association scientist at the senior principal level is expected to lead small to medium teams in the design, development, execution, and implementation of novel, state-of-the-art algorithms and solutions to complex problems. Technical writing is important, as you will be expected to author conference papers, journal articles, and/or invention disclosures. A senior principal scientist supports business development by leading idea generation, proposals, and/or authoring white papers, and is expected to maintain existing customer relationships and build new ones.
Typical Education & Experience
Required Skills and Education
We are looking for scientists with foundations skills in one or more of the following who are interested in learning more:
- We use combinatorial optimization to choose which sensor observations are generated by the same objects.
- We use Integer Linear Programs (ILPs) to associate measurements optimally, subject to data association constraints (e.g. a measurement can describe at most one target)
- Understanding the data that sensors produce is critical to developing data association algorithms. We use data analysis to understand sensor phenomenology including biases, errors, dropouts, etc. Data analysis also informs us about how detection algorithms operate on radar, electro-optical, and signal data, etc.
- Modeling and simulation enables multi-resolution modeling of complex systems: we can run a low-fidelity radar simulation on thousands of targets, or we can run a high-fidelity simulation on a smaller number of targets.
- Additionally, M&S allows us to couple our data association algorithms with sensor resource managers and learning algorithms: our data association algorithms estimate the world around us, and task sensors to investigate specific entities.
- Probability and statistics provide the foundation for most of our data association algorithms. We use them to formulate statistical models, perform Bayesian inference, and update our understanding of the world.
Preferred Skills and Education
- Bachelor's Degree with 8+ year of professional research experience, or
- Master's Degree with 6+ years of professional research experience, or
- Doctorate with 4+ years of professional research experience
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Arun P.Program Engineering Manager
Arun oversees the technical and operational aspects of engine control system projects for the company’s commercial airline clients around the world.
Back to top